Could you use '0' instead 'z' when 'wipe free space'?

wstchql

Hello!

I'm using the function of CCleaner called 'wipe free space'+'wipe MFT free space'.

But after the action,I use the FinalDate to view the disk,I see many files and folders named 'zzzz.zz' or 'zzzzzzzzz',etc.

So I wonder if you can use '0' instead 'z' when wipe free space,just get a effect as DriveScrubber.

Finally,I like CCleaner,thank you for making so wonderful software!

But after the action,I use the FinalDate to view the disk,I see many files and folders named 'zzzz.zz' or 'zzzzzzzzz',etc.

So I wonder if you can use '0' instead 'z' when wipe free space

I don't understand what purpose this would serve :huh:

Er,well...It may be not a problem.

It just don't look perfect.

well,if I just delete many files on the disk,then I wipe the disk.

Later,I misdelete a file,then I want use FinalDate to recover it,but I see many named 'zzzz.zzz' on the list.

It will take some time to find the correct filename,and it don't look clean.That's what I think.

Er,well...It may be not a problem.

It just don't look perfect.

well,if I just delete many files on the disk,then I wipe the disk.

Later,I misdelete a file,then I want use FinalDate to recover it,but I see many named 'zzzz.zzz' on the list.

It will take some time to find the correct filename,and it don't look clean.That's what I think.

Maybe I'm missing something here but why would it take a long time to find it? You wipe free space and have a load of zzzzz.zzz files, then accidentally delete a file, surely it'll be easy to find as it'll be one of the only ones that isn't zzzzz.zzz (and when sorted alphabetically the accidentally deleted file will be top of the list, all the zzzz will be at the bottom)

Also I don't see how 00000.000 instead of zzzz.zzz would make any difference to that, the mis-deleted file would still be the only one not renamed 00000.000 so would be just as easy to find (or actually slightly more difficult as when sorted alphabetically all the zero'd files will be right at the top of the list and you'll have to scroll past them to find the file you want).

Er...Maybe I'm wrong,but I think it will not display if it is all '0'.

Em,I think I am wrong when I seriously think it now.

And I just wonder that how does DriveScrubber do it that the deleted files will not display in the FinalData-list in any forms after wiping the disk.

Er...Maybe I'm worng,but I think it will not display if it is all '0'.

Em,I think I am worng when I seriously think it now.

Ah I think I know what your getting at now, I think you might be getting confused between overwriting the file itself and overwriting the fileNAME. The filename is still displayed in recovery software with zzzzz.zzz but the file itself is actually overwritten (not sure whether its zeros or random data in CCleaner). So yes, overwriting the fileNAME with 00000's would still have it show up in recovery software, would just be called 00000.000 instead of zzzzz.zzz, either way the file itself would be unrecoverable.

Removing the filenames so they don't show up at all (even as zzzz.zzz) is something that is sorely lacking in CCleaner that other secure deletion programs manage.