Windows Explorer has stopped Working Error

Queenie1946

Really Bad Bug. Tested it twice (fresh reinstall of the entire system). This is what happened ...

Notebook (ACER Aspire 7520G) with Vista x64 Ultimate gets upgraded to Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. As the system needed cleaning up, I decided to install CCleaner V2.30.1130 as I had really good experiences with this software under Windows XP Professional (both x86 and x64) as well as Vista Ultimate (again both versions).

Now, once I installed CCleaner (making sure it was in the right directory of course), the trouble began. While opening folders on HDs on the Network, I got the error "Windows Exploerer has stopped Working". Then Windows Explorer closes and restarts. This problem is persistant. I identified CCleaner as the culprit by eventually doing a clean install of Vista x64 Ultimate, upgrading that again to Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and again installing CCleaner, this time the latest version (V2.32.1165). Again the some problem.

I don't think there is much to do about it but reinstall Windows 7, clean this time, and stop using CCleaner. A simple removal of Ccleaner, either through the Control Panel or manually doesn't solve the problem.

Hoping to have been of service.