CCleaner and label maker software

StupidUser

I ran CCleaner on my dad's girlfriend's unusably slow PC. The next day, her Avery label making software was not working. I don't know exactly what was wrong (I can't even find the software anywhere on her PC *except* in the Add/Remove Software window). She stomped off angrily before I could get more information. Avery is the application she uses most and it's important to her.

I ran (and cleaned) everything found in the Cleaner and Registry tabs.

Her PC is a WinXP SP3.

Any suggestions what could be wrong (or, more importantly, how to fix it)?

Edited by StupidUser

I hope you backed up the registry changes when prompted before the cleaning. If so, right click on the file cc_00000000_000000 etc Registration Entries and merge.

Thanks Kroozer. My dad actually fixed the problem before the next time I came over to visit.

Avery, it turns out, is just a setting in MS Word's Labels and Envelopes merge feature. My dad clicked one setting and everything was back to normal. :D She (and I) panicked for nothing.

Edit: And I did back up the registry (who the heck wouldn't do that)

Do you know how to run CCleaner in the future so that it does not affect the MS Word settings like it did?

Do you know how to run CCleaner in the future so that it does not affect the MS Word settings like it did?

Untick any boxes related to MS Office under the cleaners applications tab ;)

Untick any boxes related to MS Office under the cleaners applications tab ;)

I'm not super skilled with CC cleaner. That was the second time I've used it.

What I meant was, are there any specific things, like maybe cookies, or whatever, that store the MS Word settings which I would not clean in order to avoid that happening in the future. But if I'm just looking for settings which specifically say MS Word, then I'll do fine. If there's other generic-type things that need un-checking, that's what I need to know (does that make sense)?

I'm not super skilled with CC cleaner. That was the second time I've used it.

What I meant was, are there any specific things, like maybe cookies, or whatever, that store the MS Word settings which I would not clean in order to avoid that happening in the future. But if I'm just looking for settings which specifically say MS Word, then I'll do fine. If there's other generic-type things that need un-checking, that's what I need to know (does that make sense)?

I see what you're getting at but no, there's no other less obvious settings, just untick the Office boxes. Unfortunately due to the way Office is built the only way CCleaner can clean up it's recent file lists etc also means the settings are reset to defaults. It's a common issue with CCleaner (and other cleaner apps as far as I know) and MS Office unfortunately.

I see what you're getting at but no, there's no other less obvious settings, just untick the Office boxes. Unfortunately due to the way Office is built the only way CCleaner can clean up it's recent file lists etc also means the settings are reset to defaults. It's a common issue with CCleaner (and other cleaner apps as far as I know) and MS Office unfortunately.

>can clean up it's recent file lists etc also means the settings are reset

Can you explain this a bit more. It's unclear to me. What is causing whose settings to be reset? (Sorry for my in-bred obtuseness, and thanks for your help).

>can clean up it's recent file lists etc also means the settings are reset

Can you explain this a bit more. It's unclear to me. What is causing whose settings to be reset? (Sorry for my in-bred obtuseness, and thanks for your help).

I don't know specifically what CCleaner cleans that resets the Office settings, I don't use MS Office so have never looked into the specifics of it but it has cropped on here many times and the only solution is to untick MS Office cleaning. I'm guessing the file that Office stores its recent file lists etc is the exact same file it stores any settings you change, so cleaning one removes the other, but that is just an (educated?) guess