Driver update

chajun

I now receive an error message after my pc has frozen it reads. The atidvag Display driver has stopped working" I know that I probably have to install an up date but have absolutely no idea how. my driver details from the display section on my system info are as follows.

Name RADEON 9000 SERIES

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4966&SUBSYS_20021002&REV_01\4&3621FAAD&0&0008

Adapter Type RADEON 9000 Series AGP (0x4966), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible

Adapter Description RADEON 9000 SERIES

Adapter RAM 64.00 MB (67,108,864 bytes)

Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version 6.14.10.6517

INF File oem57.inf (ati2mtag_RV250 section)

Color Planes 1

Color Table Entries 4294967296

Resolution 1024 x 768 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel 32

Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xE7FFFFFF

I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000CFFF

Memory Address 0xED000000-0xED00FFFF

IRQ Channel IRQ 16

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys (6.14.10.6517, 963.50 KB (986,624 bytes), 1/1/2003 23:41)

I have no idea where to look or how to proceed. Help would really be appreciated.

Thank you

• Moderators

1. Visit http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

2. Click your operating system, then RADEON, then click Catalyst 5.10 Windows ?? - Driver Download. The ?? is just there since I don't know what your OS is.

3. Make sure you don't download the drivers that require Microsoft .NET because the configuration GUI is extemely slow in that build, instead download the standard installer which is Catalyst Component "With Control Panel" it's the download that's smaller in size.

Note: ATI has changed their way of allowing downloads "Anti leeching" therefore download managers may not work, and any ad filtering software may not allow you to download the file, use a direct connection via your web browser.

4. Once the download completes you need to uninstall via the Control Panel Add/Remove (Win9x), Add or Remove (WinXP) the currently installed ATI drivers which are: ATI Control Panel and ATI Display Driver, this is necessary so you don't have mixed versions of drivers. Only reboot after you've uninstall all components this will save you from multiple reboots.

5. Once the system restarts install the download package, and reboot when it tells you to.

1. Visit http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

2. Click your operating system, then RADEON, then click Catalyst 5.10 Windows ?? - Driver Download. The ?? is just there since I don't know what your OS is.

3. Make sure you don't download the drivers that require Microsoft .NET because the configuration GUI is extemely slow in that build, instead download the standard installer which is  Catalyst Component "With Control Panel" it's the download that's smaller in size.

Note: ATI has changed their way of allowing downloads "Anti leeching" therefore download managers may not work, and any ad filtering software may not allow you to download the file, use a direct connection via your web browser.

4. Once the download completes you need to uninstall via the Control Panel Add/Remove (Win9x), Add or Remove (WinXP) the currently installed ATI drivers which are: ATI Control Panel and ATI Display Driver, this is necessary so you don't have mixed versions of drivers. Only reboot after you've uninstall all components this will save you from multiple reboots.

5. Once the system restarts install the download package, and reboot when it tells you to.

Thanks but silly question. Being that I am uninstalling/ installing a display driver etc will I not lose any picture to my monitor? Did say it was a silly question" And is this all done in safe mode? ps my system XP Home.

Regards

• Moderators
Thanks but silly question. Being that I am uninstalling/ installing a display driver etc will I not lose any picture to my monitor? Did say it was a silly question" And is this all done in safe mode? ps my system XP Home.

Regards

Not silly at all!

Windows will use a generic display driver until you install the new one, and it will be slow compared to the one from ATI, I don't recommend uninstalling the old version until the new version is fully downloaded.

Do not uninstall and install display drivers in Safe Mode!

I don't remember the exact wording, etc., however from what I think I remember it can cause some sort of corruption.

Not silly at all!

Windows will use a generic display driver until you install the new one, and it will be slow compared to the one from ATI, I don't recommend uninstalling the old version until the new version is fully downloaded.

Do not uninstall and install display drivers in Safe Mode!

I don't remember the exact wording, etc., however from what I think I remember it can cause some sort of corruption.

Hi. Did the reinstall as you instructed so far so good no nasty error messages. Although I did get a bit scared when I saw the size of the images after uninstalling the drivers I thought "what have I done"!!

Thank you for your help.

Regards

• Moderators

Let it send the crash data to ATI or Microsoft if it that's what it's trying to do. Of course it can also be related to something else, e.g.; a faulty display card, not compatible with some installed running software or game, etc.

The solution "may" already be available in:

ATI Support->Knowledge Base->Troubleshooter

At the bottom of that page you also create a problem report via a downloadable utility.

Let it send the crash data to ATI or Microsoft if it that's what it's trying to do. Of course it can also be related to something else, e.g.; a faulty display card, not compatible with some installed running software or game, etc.

The solution "may" already be available in:

ATI Support->Knowledge Base->Troubleshooter

At the bottom of that page you also create a problem report via a downloadable utility.

Thanks for the reply but the ati link does not seem to work. Regards from the UK

Then try http://www.ati.com/support then click Knowledge Base.

That links ok. It says might need new drivers for the "chipset" I am not sure how to proceed. Here is info from my system info section.

Name RADEON 9000 SERIES

PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4966&SUBSYS_20021002&REV_01\4&3621FAAD&0&0008

Adapter Type RADEON 9000 Series AGP (0x4966), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible

Adapter Description RADEON 9000 SERIES

Adapter RAM 64.00 MB (67,108,864 bytes)

Installed Drivers ati2dvag.dll

Driver Version 6.14.10.6575

INF File oem57.inf (ati2mtag_RV250 section)

Color Planes 1

Color Table Entries 4294967296

Resolution 1024 x 768 x 60 hertz

Bits/Pixel 32

Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xE7FFFFFF

I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000CFFF

Memory Address 0xED000000-0xED00FFFF

IRQ Channel IRQ 16

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF

Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys (6.14.10.6575, 1.28 MB (1,339,392 bytes), 1/1/2003 23:41)