Loads of free space after running Defraggler

nwayen

Heeja!

A Vista PC here needed a clean up, so I reinstalled Vista, deleted the windows.old folder except the documents I wanted to keep, and found out that the 320GB hard drive still used 100GB, and was badly fragmented. I downloaded Defraggler since I am a huge fan of ccleaner and let it do its job for some time. After I got back, the C drive only used 50GB instead of the 100GB it used before running Defraggler. Quite a shock, but since everything was working fine I figured it couldn't do much harm.

The day after, I ran Defraggler on my Windows 7 PC. I let it clean up the C partition, which is 100GB total and used 35GB. When I got back, it only used 25GB (and yes, I did empty my trash can etc., and Windows defragments the C drive every week). That was a week ago. I havent noticed anything weird on my PC so far, so yet again it ain't a problem. But now I am pretty interested why I suddenly gained so much more free space on both of the drives? My brother defragmented his windows Vista laptop and he also gained several GB.

In short, why the sudden increase in free space after running Defraggler? Does it has to do with replacing the files and correcting the size how Windows sees them?

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Just found the answer. Whenever downloading something with a bittorrent client, my C partition reserves disk space for it, even though the download itself is contained on a different partition. After removing the torrent (and / or data), the C partition still claims to have the torrent data on it. Defraggler cleans that up.

Thanks for the help Aethec!