New guy need direction

diverjer

I downloaded the free version. I wanted to test it to see if it worked. I picked a directory with some files in it and deleted them with explore, then deleted them from recycle bin. Then started Recuva and used the wizard, picked other and directed it to the directory where I deleted the files from. It didn't find anything to recover.

Now I if I remember right, when deleting all you really do is remove the directory entry, which I think is the MFT. The data is really still there but since the directory shows that space free it can be used. I figured these programs like Recuva scans the data area looking for groups of clusters that are intact. Well I did several test like this and Recuva never did find anything.

It did find some stuff when I told it all C:, around 1400 files. But not any of them are what I deleted. I would guess I am doing something really stupid, perhaps it is my age catching up with me?

Running XP Pro SP3 all current updates on Dell Optiplex 745

• Moderators

All versions of all Piriform products are free.

It's been written some that files recently removed via Recycle bin don't show on recuva. . . but I can't remember any more than that so someone else'll have to fill in the lines

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

All versions of all Piriform products are free.

It's been written some that files recently removed via Recycle bin don't show on recuva. . . but I can't remember any more than that so someone else'll have to fill in the lines

Thanks, after reading your post I tried another file without removing from recycle bin and it still found nothing when running Recuva via the wizard. Also, doesn't find when running it without wizard (doing all C), file still in recycle bin. It does find 1400 + files which is a bit of a surprise as I ran ccleaner with delete free space and clean MFT. Now I ran the ccleaner prior to my starting this test of Recuva, I wasn't going to mention as it just confuses the thing I am testing, which is simply finding a file I just deleted.