Numbers unchanged from "Results" to "Current State"

emberAZ

I'm trying to defrag a Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 computer and the software appears to be working but the numbers don't change. The colors of the little boxes change while things are being read or written but go back to red. The computer was 54% fragmented and I, with the help of someone else, dumped a lot of stuff off. It's 4 gigs lighter and 35% fragmented now. The drive is only 20gigs.

To recap -- the software goes through all the files, appears to be doing something with the little boxes and nothing changes. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks, emberAZ

Tucson, AZ.

Because often fragmented files that can't be defragmented have a good reason not to be, e.g. NTFS metadata or System Restore Points.

But NOTHING gets defragged. The system runs through the files -- yellow boxes light up and nothing happens. I thought, perhaps, it was due to internal settings of the computer since I've never seen this before. I checked and don't see anything amiss except a small 55mb registry size which I changed to 60mb since it said the maximum was 55mb. The computer has 1/2gig of memory and only a 20gig drive. Right now the drive has 6.2gigs on it after tossing data from it. I'm running Spybot on it now. Also, I tried to install Auslogics defragmenter and it wouldn't install because the machine is Win2K SP4. Maybe that's why Defraggler isn't working? Perhaps I should use an earlier version? I'm frustrated.

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate them.

emberAZ :)

But NOTHING gets defragged. The system runs through the files -- yellow boxes light up and nothing happens. I thought, perhaps, it was due to internal settings of the computer since I've never seen this before. I checked and don't see anything amiss except a small 55mb registry size which I changed to 60mb since it said the maximum was 55mb. The computer has 1/2gig of memory and only a 20gig drive. Right now the drive has 6.2gigs on it after tossing data from it. I'm running Spybot on it now. Also, I tried to install Auslogics defragmenter and it wouldn't install because the machine is Win2K SP4. Maybe that's why Defraggler isn't working? Perhaps I should use an earlier version? I'm frustrated.

Thanks for the responses! I appreciate them.

emberAZ :)

Oh my gosh! I had the bright idea to use Windows defragger and it's defragging. I'll try Defraggle after it finishes. Amazing. emberAZ :)