Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working

kaybee

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 running Windows Vista Basic 32bit - SP2 and have Battery Monitor, Windows Live Mail & Firefox load at startup and have the following intermittent 'problem'.

The desktop loads and occasionally an error message stating that 'Windows Explorer has stopped working' appears - this is then replaced by a message that 'Windows Explorer is restarting', and all is well.

I looked at various sites and have so far failed to find a solution - I did the recommended 'sfc scannow' which, when finished, stated that there were corrupt files - when I tried to open the folders to view the corrupt files it said 'Access denied'.

I have also done an anti-virus scan and also scanned with AdAware and MalwareBytes - all of which didn't find anything.

I don't lose any functionality but it is just annoying.

Can anyone help please? :mellow:

Update - I have re-run sfc /scannow and followed these instructions to find which file couldn't be repaired (web address: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-uk):

To determine which files could not be repaired by the System File Checker tool, follow these steps:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

findstr /C:"[sR] Cannot repair member file" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Note The Sfcdetails.txt file contains details from every time that the System File Checker tool has been run on the computer. The file includes information about files that were not repaired by the System File Checker tool. Verify the date and time entries to determine the problem files that were found the last time that you ran the System File Checker tool.

3. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

edit sfcdetails.txt

The Sfcdetails.txt file uses the following format:

Date/Time SFC detail

Unfortunately, I type the command at option 2 and it doesn't 'do' anything (eg it doesn't bring any results up).

Update: My wifes' (similar) laptop started with the same problem yesterday, apparently it only started after she updated Zemani Antikeylogger :angry:

I've now uninstalled this software on both machines and - so far so good! :unsure:

Try doing system restore if the problem should appear again even if this Zemani Antikeylogger has already been uninstalled.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.