CCleaner deleting too slowly!

Manuel S.

• Moderators

If you use the full winapp2.ini it will slow down CCleaner which I reported some months ago and TwistedMetal promptly changed how winapp2.ini is offered. There's this info in the winapp2.ini topic which explains the reason why it's no longer one full download.

Basically pick and choose only the cleaners you need in winapp2.ini by copying and pasting them into it, don't use the full thing since it will have applications listed you don't even have installed.

Edit:

Also if you have too many applications in winapp2.ini, even those you use, it can cause the slow down!

If you use the full winapp2.ini it will slow down CCleaner which I reported some months ago and TwistedMetal promptly changed how winapp2.ini is offered. There's this info in the winapp2.ini topic which explains the reason why it's no longer one full download.

Basically pick and choose only the cleaners you need in winapp2.ini by copying and pasting them into it, don't use the full thing since it will have applications listed you don't even have installed.

Edit:

Also if you have too many applications in winapp2.ini, even those you use, it can cause the slow down!

Actually the problem is not searching the files, it is a little bit slow, but acceptable... the problem is when cleaning. It is as slow as it was scanning again... I wonder why they do not just keep a list of found files for deleting them instead of searching them again.

• Moderators
I wonder why they do not just keep a list of found files for deleting them instead of searching them again.

Don't know, however that would indeed be rather crafty having a persistent cache per system, per user profile to possibly significantly speed up cleaning. To my knowledge that would make it the only freeware cleaning tool to offer such a persistent cache.

Don't know, however that would indeed be rather crafty having a persistent cache per system, per user profile to possibly significantly speed up cleaning. To my knowledge that would make it the only freeware cleaning tool to offer such a persistent cache.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "persistent cache"... but sounds complex. What I try to say is this:

1)Suppose I run CCleaner with my own winapp2.ini file, searching for .xyz files. I find after, let's say, 5 mins these files:

c:\ccc.xyz

c:\program files\something\bbbb.xyz

c:\windows\aaaa.xyz

2) CCleaner will list them, and if I click "clean", it will take again 5 mins to delete them, as if CCleaner was searching again. (I suppose it does, for the lengthy time... unless it is doing something else in addition to delete files)

My suggestion is that in step 1, CCleaner stores in a list the paths of the found files -whatever and wherever they are:

1) When searching, if a file matched a pattern (.xyz) => append path into a list of strings. (Is this list a persistent cache?)

2) when clicking "clean", for each file in the list, delete it. This would be much faster than scanning again. If any file in the list was deleted by the user outside CCleaner, or is locked, you can ignore the error that could happen trying to delete it.

I think it is simple: at least VC++, .Net and java languages have a list class ready for inserting items and for iterating through it.