Clean Registry on Second Hard Drive

ngdoherty

Hi,

My question is :

Can CCleaner be used to check/fix the registry of a 2nd hardrive (not the primary drive on which the OS is running).

I know this is a long shot - but I thought I'd check it out just in case!

I have a PC which starts to log into Windows XP (completes the normal boot process) and then gives the blue screen - with a REGISTRY_ERROR

No new hardware installed - so my guess is some software update or a hardware failure e.g. RAM.

Starting from Known Good Config doesn't work - and neither does SAFE MODE.

So I added the drive as a 2nd hard drive on a working PC - so that I could run chkdsk to check and fix any drive errors.

Disk was regularly defragged - so don't think any issue with that.

That chkdsk report some errors - and fixes - but I still get the same error when using the drive as a primary drive i.e. loading windows.

What I was wondering is it possible to run CCleaner on a 2nd hardrive (not the primary windows drive)?

I know that there are options with CCleaner to clean files on the 2nd hardrive - but I can't see anything in terms of the registry.

My assumption is that the registry is only visible when CCleaner is active on the drive from which the OS is loaded - but I though I would ask in case it help to fix the problem.

Sorry for the wordy post - just trying to cover everything.

Thanks

Neil

• Moderators

You can't run CC registry clean on a non-system registry. I doubt whether CC would help in your case, as the registry 'clean' just fixes entries that have invalid or obsolete addresses, by the simple process of removing the registry entry.

Just to cover the obvious - have you tried reformatting and reinstalling Windows?

Thank for the replies. Ok I see what you mean by CC not helping in this situation. Machine is Dell - so I don't have the windows CDs and was hoping to retrieve files/programs before reformatting. Disk is not partitioned either. Plan is to try to get it back - so that I can access windows. Then take backup of image and do a full reformat and reinstall .. slow but I guess needed a this stage.

Thanks for your help - but I guess answer will be from different forum :-)