Did v 2.28.2091 delete my restore points?

old ric

I have Windows XP SP3. I downloaded Ccleaner V 2.28 today. Decided to wipe free space. Everything was going as normal, so I went away for a couple of hours. When I returned, Ccleaner was "wiping MFT files". (Is this new -I've never seen it before). It hadn't got very far (about 10% , I think). Several hours later it hadn't got much farther, so I cancelled the operation. I tried it a second time with the same result except that cancellation hung up, so I used Task Manager to stop Ccleaner.

I decided that this version of Ccleaner was not the one for me, so attempted to use System Restore to revert to the older version. I discovered that there was only one system restore point and it was after the V2.28 update. I haven't used System Restore for a long time and I have never disabled it, and it is still enabled (I checked). The memory allocation for System Restore is set at maximum. I have never intentionally used Ccleaner to delete points.

Might Ccleaner have deleted the restore points? I realise that this would not be the programmers' intention.

Not unless you went into tools and removed them your self. CCleaner does not have the functionality to just remove points.

Whats the massive concern with WFS any way,

No fate but what we make

Actually, I believe Windows has the ability to delete older restore points if the space allocated for them is filled up completely. You can try an earlier version of CCleaner and not use the Wipe Free Space function if it is faulty in v.2.28 for Windows XP.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Actually, I believe Windows has the ability to delete older restore points if the space allocated for them is filled up completely. You can try an earlier version of CCleaner and not use the Wipe Free Space function if it is faulty in v.2.28 for Windows XP.

Thank you for your reply, ishi.

After some experimental runs (and looking at some other threads) I have convinced myself that Cc did not remove my restore points, although it does seem to hang up wiping MFT free space. Somebody pointed out in another thread that there is a separate check box in settings for "wipe MFT free space", so I've unchecked it.

The disappearance of the restore points is a mystery for the time being; Windows isn't supposed to delete them all unless you disable and re-enable System Restore.

Well there is a comparative issue on the topic on this link. Disabling the enabling system protection could make the restore points visible again but you did say that at least the latest restore point did show.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=26942

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.