USB Wireless Network Adapters

Tigerllc74

Since my laptop's internal wireless is not working anymore, I decided to get USB Wireless Network Adapter. There appears to be many different options such as 802.11g and 802.11n. Ina addition, 2.4 Mhz or 5 Mhz, 50, 150, or 300 Mbps, etc....

I search eBay and found some name brands (Belkin, Linksys, etc...) and generic brands.

Any comments ??

I assume 802.11g at 50 Mpbs is more than sufficient, but what does forum members think ??

Thanks,

Tiger

• Moderators

I just recently bought myself a wireless modem/router from PCWorld.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw...p;category_oid=

I already had a Wireless Adapter which my son picked up for free when he bought something else a while back, but they do come as a pack if you need both.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw...p;category_oid=

I've found the "G54" more than adequate, and apparently 802.11g is better than the slower 802.11b. The Belkin can be configured to handle both.

Here's a pretty good outline of what it's about:

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireles...211standard.htm

Bottom line. More than happy with my purchase.

EDIT: Methinks you're just looking for an adapter after re-reading your post. In that case the Belkin Adapter I'm also happy with. :)

I've got a LinkSys 2.4 GHz, 802.11g wireless adapter. I've had it for about a year now, and I like it in general. I get a fast speed, good connection reliability, it it hasn't randomly stopped working on me unlike some other wireless adapters I've tried. One thing that I do find annoying is the constant positioning of the wireless adapter to get the best signal strength and speed. Other than that, I like it. ;)

Well it maybe just a simple think but if your wireless connection has stopped just check thats its not switched off? My laptop a couple of weeks ago work one day but the next day no wireless connection. As I packed it away I must have caught the wireless switch.

If it did work then it should work again. ;)

WinXP SP3 and Vista Home Premium SP2

Generally your internet connection won't be sufficient to fully saturate the total bandwidth of the adapter. Higher speeds are mainly useful for setting up a home file sharing/streaming network.

However this may not be true for 802.11b.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.