Bought a Zune

rridgely

• Moderators

So I confess to having a "problem". I have in my possession 7 Mp3 players right now... and I just bought another one! I tried to resist but I couldn't. :(

A couple days ago I decided to try the 14 day trial for Zune Pass, which is the subscription service you can get for $15 a month and get all the music you want. As soon as I started playing around with it, I was hooked.

You have to download the zune software which has been vastly improved since last time I tried it. At least on my pc(pretty fast) its very responsive. The interface is overwhelming at first glance but if you really play with it, its not all that different than itunes(but WAY quicker).

So I started my trial and literally sat in front of my computer for the next 4 hours without moving. I had listened to hundreds of songs, read bios for artists, read album reviews, ect. I have a pretty large collection of music but I was still finding stuff that I didn't have, didn't know I was interested in, and probably never would have bought. AMAZING. You can listen to all of the songs on your pc streaming or you can of course put them on your zune. The pass is $15 a month but you also get to keep 10 songs a month, so your really paying $5 a month for the subscription and buying 10 songs every month.

So today I bought a 8gig zune(the one that looks like a ipod nano) for $110 and it came with a case and the car charger/fm tuner. I almost bought the HD but decided that I would be better off with the other since I could get the armband for jogging for only $5 on amazon and it came with the thing for my car. I may buy a HD in the future, my cell phone renews in a few months so I'm going to wait and see if I get the droid or not(wouldn't need zune HD then).

I got it from tigerdirect, they had a refurbished 4gig for $60 with the car/case but I decided I wanted the 8gig. I cant wait for it to get here in the mail.

I was really surprised by what music was on the pass. You cant get The Beatles, or Led Zeppelin(I own their whole catalogs anyway) but just about everything else I looked for was on there. I buy a lot of music, but I'm really bad about only buying "greatest hits" discs for certain artists, this way I get to hear whole back catalogs without spending $12 per album.

I'm hooked and I havent even tried a zune yet for more than 5 minutes. I played with the zune HD at bestbuy and it was awesome. About the same as an ipod touch but doesn't really have the apps the ipod does, but it has a nicer screen and the music features are way better. The Zune I got is more like an ipod nano, but it has wifi so it can sync to my pc without a cable.

You can try zunepass for 14 days free, you need a credit card/debit card and you have to cancel before the 14 days without getting charged. Its deffinitely worth checking out at least the trial, you will find tons of music you never thought you would have.