Problems with 2.24.1010

DanL

I've been using CCleaner for many years with no problems. After installing 2.24.1010 I noticed it wasn't cleaning much after closing out the browser[ie 8].

Sometimes it would show "0 bytes removed" after closing IE8. Also noticed after the install about half the cookies selected to keep from previous[2.23.993]

were missing.

I did a system restore to before the new version. Then let 2.23 do a clean and it ran for several minutes cleaning out everything that built up from 2.24 not removing.

Any ideas what happened to the new version or what caused this?

For now I'm sticking with 2.23.993.

What OS have you? In Options -> Advanced you can remove a check mark and thereby make CCleaner take all files from the last 24 hours also.

Thanks for the quick reply. Vista 64.

I did remove the check you referred to but that didn't help.

Also, CCleaner would not clean the recycle bin with the new version.

I had the same problems described above with 2.24 version. In addition, the option to clean cookies and temp files from Google Chrome were not available. For now, I will stick to the previous version.

Thanks,

Hardware: AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60 2.00 GHz, 2.00 GB

Hello,

i had the same troubles as described - OS XP SP2 - newest version of ccleaner did?nt clean many items, it should have to clean.

To make a long story short: After more than one week in tis forum and after about 20 posts and replies in the thread to this theme I was told to downgrade to a previous version of ccleaner - e.g. 2.223

I did so - and see : all my problems went up to smoke ...

To the "makers" of ccleaner: You made a good job and created a fine tool, but with version 2.24... You "touched " a well running system an spoilt it -the german word for this, I can?t translate it exactly - is: "verschlimmbessern" - somthing like to disimprove or to make an improvement that makes things worse.

So, ignore the recent version and go down for 2.3xxx or older.

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with v2.24.

We haven't been able to reproduce this problem so we would appreciate your help.

You can always run CCleaner versions side-by-side without any problem and this will help us with this problem:

1 - Rename your CCleaner.exe v2.23 to CCleaner_23.exe,

2 - download v2.24 installer and run the installer,

3 - once installation is finished, you should have CCleaner_23.exe and CCleaner.exe for v2.24 in the installation folder,

4 - start CCleaner_23.exe and CCleaner.exe and note that both have same items selected in the Cleaner screen,

5 - press Analyze in one of them and then press analyze in the second one (do not press "Run Cleaner" for this test as this will delete files),

6 - compare results - they should be same (if not, run Analyze a couple of times to confirm the results).

Please let us know if you come across any differences between the two versions.

Many thanks

Hi MrT,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. I followed your instructions and both programs are now functioning identically.

Is it possible there was a problem with my original download? Whatever the issue was, 2.24.1010 is now running smooth

and doing it's job just like all the previous versions I've used for years.

Thanks again for your help

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with v2.24.

We haven't been able to reproduce this problem so we would appreciate your help.

You can always run CCleaner versions side-by-side without any problem and this will help us with this problem:

1 - Rename your CCleaner.exe v2.23 to CCleaner_23.exe,

2 - download v2.24 installer and run the installer,

3 - once installation is finished, you should have CCleaner_23.exe and CCleaner.exe for v2.24 in the installation folder,

4 - start CCleaner_23.exe and CCleaner.exe and note that both have same items selected in the Cleaner screen,

5 - press Analyze in one of them and then press analyze in the second one (do not press "Run Cleaner" for this test as this will delete files),

6 - compare results - they should be same (if not, run Analyze a couple of times to confirm the results).

Please let us know if you come across any differences between the two versions.

Many thanks

Hello out there,

did?nt know that there is something like a bug fixer group and so it is too bad, You missed reading a well documentated report regarding the 24... version of ccleaner.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=24494

Follow this link and You might find the reason for many (!) experienced (!) ccleeaner-users, who are forced to perform a downgrade to older versions (like 2.3xx) to get their "surfing-privacy", ccleanerer used to give then.

I myself at least couldn?t find any other possibility to clean ALL my surf- traces.

With version 24.. inspite of a proper installation and inspite of activiting of every necessary checkbox there remained many traces - really confidential data as described in the discussion linked to above.

After downgrading evrything will be wiped and cleaned by ccleaner - maybe there is something wrong with the new ccleaner philosophy???