internet cache

harrisyboy

Has anyone else had this problem? When I run ccleaner I always get a message saying You must close Firefox/Mozilla to allow the Internet Cache to be cleaned Otherwise this process will be skipped. Even though I close my browser it still doesn't clean out my internet cache. Any advice?

• Moderators

I think that everyone runing CC with Firefox open will get this message. Do you have Internet Cache ticked in Cleaner/Applications/Firefox, and if you right click on that item and select Analyse, do you get a filecount/data count? After you've closed FF that is.

You must ensure that Firefox is completely closed.

To do so, close Firefox and wait for 30 seconds. (You must have also stopped all downloads from within Firefox and close Add-on dialog box if it is still open.)

Now, open CCleaner and try to clean the cache. If you still receive the same message (which normally you shouldn't) then the Firefox is not really closed. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and open Processes tab. Make sure no "firefox.exe" is listed in there. If there are any, select it end click "End Process Tree". Now you should be able to clean your browser cache effectively.

• 4 months later...
You must ensure that Firefox is completely closed.

To do so, close Firefox and wait for 30 seconds. (You must have also stopped all downloads from within Firefox and close Add-on dialog box if it is still open.)

Now, open CCleaner and try to clean the cache. If you still receive the same message (which normally you shouldn't) then the Firefox is not really closed. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and open Processes tab. Make sure no "firefox.exe" is listed in there. If there are any, select it end click "End Process Tree". Now you should be able to clean your browser cache effectively.

Is this the only way to get FF shut down quickly? Anyone know why it takes FF so long to shut down? Manually killing off processes is never a good thing over the long run for any machine's health, if you must do it repeatedly.

In my experience, it's been much longer than 30 seconds - more on the order of 2-3 minutes - for it to completely be out of the process table w/o manual intervention. It started with the FF 3.5x and CC 22x versions... quite annoying!

All comments / suggestions welcome!

- RJF

• Moderators

The slow closing of Firefox could be attributable to installed extensions.

Try launching Firefox in "Safe Mode", "Start\All Programs\Mozilla Firefox\Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)", and see if the problem still happens.

If it closes OK, then by a process of elimination, try and find which extension isn't closing down properly, or taking too long to close. Any extension still running after the browser window is closed (such as a download manager), means Firefox itself is still running.

The worst case scenario could be Malware:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox.exe_always_open

If you think this is a possibilty, then visit this link and follow the instructions:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20120

Hope that helps.