Error Accessing Registry

crazyamy71

I recently ran the registry cleaner, and now I no longer have sound. I tried double clicking the backup file and importing into the registry through the editor however I keep getting an "error accessing the registry". I am even in administrator mode. I also tried restoring from a system restore point. No change in my lack of sound. I am running XP if this makes any difference. I've opened the file in notepad and thought about editing the registry manually but I have no idea how to do this and I definitely don't want to screw it up.

I feel like pulling my hair out at this point. PLEASE HELP!!!

hmmm... Not sure what to do about that. I disabled the onboard sound long ago because it wouldn't work properly. (motherboard ECS K7VMM+ 3.1, AC97, apparently a common issue) I'm using plug and play speakers. I forget how I even did all of that and I lost my contact that helped me through it... :(

My SB card was doing the same thing for a while.

Is the card actually listed in device manager (mine would disappear like it was never there)

I had to unplug it and re-seat the card never directly linked the issue with a CC clean though, as the issue seems to have gone away since using win7

fireryone