Why is not the drive compressed

jpendyk

I have to admit I'm a bit of a dummy when it comes to defragmentation. What I do not understand is why Defrag does not eliminate or consolidate ALL defragmented files and compress or consolidate ALLwhite space. If I run several iterations of Defrag, I get different results...why?

I say this with great respect for the people at Piriform and to my fellow forun users I hope I haven't insulted either one's intelligence. I'm jst curios.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm actually interested in this, too. for some reason, DF will frequently put files at the end of the disk, even though there is an incredible amount of free real estate (10s, if not 100s of gigabytes) before those files. i think my problem might be a substantial mix of large files (in excess of 300meg (thousands of these)) and small files (no larger than 10 meg (10s of thousands of these))...

Have you tried running Defrag Freespace under Advance of the Action menu?

yes, and in most cases, that will usually fix the problem. SO, MY QUESTION: is there a reason why a normal defrag doesn't also do a freespace defrag at the same time?

it seems exceedingly silly to me that i have to actually run several defrags on a 750gig HD in order to gain any semblance of order. and, given the dichotomy of file sizes i have to work with, it's a never-ending job because the defrag program itself makes the issue worse by doing using the end of the drive for storage even though it's been told not to.

yes, and in most cases, that will usually fix the problem. SO, MY QUESTION: is there a reason why a normal defrag doesn't also do a freespace defrag at the same time?

it seems exceedingly silly to me that i have to actually run several defrags on a 750gig HD in order to gain any semblance of order. and, given the dichotomy of file sizes i have to work with, it's a never-ending job because the defrag program itself makes the issue worse by doing using the end of the drive for storage even though it's been told not to.

I'm wondering the same thing.