Flash privacy

oxford_nick

• Moderators

Hi Nick, and welcome to Piriform.

Have a look at CCleaner\Applications\Multimedia, and make sure Adobe Flash Player is checked.

There are also two locations containing Flash Cookies which CCleaner hasn't been picking up:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys

and...

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\Z4PLHKBB

There's a new version of CCleaner out today which I haven't installed and tried yet, which may now clean these areas, but I'm posting this FYI in case it doesn't.

You could then add these locations to CCleaners "Include" feature. Making sure to check the "Custom Files And Folders" box in "CCleaner\Windows\Advanced".

Hope that helps.

Yes I don't disagree but surely the essence of CCleaner is that it's easy to use 'one click' - the analogy is to locate every browser cache location and to add them all to custom files and folders so I still think it's an important feature addition because most users are probably unaware that without some settings tweaks traces of user activity are still retained

p.s. C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\Z4PLHKBB is specific to your machine - mine is J3S7H5ZE

Hi Nick, and welcome to Piriform.

Have a look at CCleaner\Applications\Multimedia, and make sure Adobe Flash Player is checked.

There are also two locations containing Flash Cookies which CCleaner hasn't been picking up:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys

and...

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\Z4PLHKBB

There's a new version of CCleaner out today which I haven't installed and tried yet, which may now clean these areas, but I'm posting this FYI in case it doesn't.

You could then add these locations to CCleaners "Include" feature. Making sure to check the "Custom Files And Folders" box in "CCleaner\Windows\Advanced".

Hope that helps.

• Moderators
Yes I don't disagree but surely the essence of CCleaner is that it's easy to use 'one click' - the analogy is to locate every browser cache location and to add them all to custom files and folders

Locations of cookies are changing with almost every update of the various browsers, which is evident by the many current and recent discussions on here.

The suggestion to use the "Include" feature was made in an effort to help you maintain your privacy until the developers of CCleaner catch up with these constant changes.

p.s. C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\Z4PLHKBB is specific to your machine - mine is J3S7H5ZE

I am aware that this is a "salted" number, a security feature, but it would have been pretty difficult including anyone's but my own as a guide to the correct location.

but I knew how to do it - this post is in Suggestions category, not 'er how do I' category

Locations of cookies are changing with almost every update of the various browsers, which is evident by the many current and recent discussions on here.

The suggestion to use the "Include" feature was made in an effort to help you maintain your privacy until the developers of CCleaner catch up with these constant changes.

I am aware that this is a "salted" number, a security feature, but it would have been pretty difficult including anyone's but my own as a guide to the correct location.

• Moderators

the Flash Player setting in the Built in INI cleans Flash setting/cookies (*.SOL) flies perfectly fine

[Macromedia Flash 4.0]ID=2051LangSecRef=3023Detect=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Flash 4Default=TrueRegKey1=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Flash 4\Recent File List[Macromedia Flash 5.0]ID=2052LangSecRef=3023Detect=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Flash 5Default=TrueRegKey1=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Flash 5\Recent File List[Adobe Flash Player]ID=2055LangSecRef=3023Detect=HKCR\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}Default=TrueSpecialKey1=N_FLASH_COOKIES

No additional includes are needed.

the only ones it does not clean are those I have added to the exclude list.

However if you want to remove the Most recent list add this to your winapp2.ini

[*Adobe Flash Most recent Files]LangSecRef=3023Detect=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerDefault=TrueRegKey1=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayer

Note: I HAVE tested this Winapp2.ini entry and it functions as I said. the next flash site you go to will restore the now empty HKCU\Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayer without any recent in it

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Have you actually looked here? I think you may be surprised and a little shocked . . .

the Flash Player setting in the Built in INI cleans Flash setting/cookies (*.SOL) flies perfectly fine

[Macromedia Flash 4.0]ID=2051LangSecRef=3023Detect=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Flash 4Default=TrueRegKey1=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Flash 4\Recent File List[Macromedia Flash 5.0]ID=2052LangSecRef=3023Detect=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Flash 5Default=TrueRegKey1=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\Flash 5\Recent File List[Adobe Flash Player]ID=2055LangSecRef=3023Detect=HKCR\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}Default=TrueSpecialKey1=N_FLASH_COOKIES

No additional includes are needed.

the only ones it does not clean are those I have added to the exclude list.

However if you want to remove the Most recent list add this to your winapp2.ini

[*Adobe Flash Most recent Files]LangSecRef=3023Detect=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerDefault=TrueRegKey1=HKCU\Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayer

Note: I HAVE tested this Winapp2.ini entry and it functions as I said. the next flash site you go to will restore the now empty HKCU\Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayer without any recent in it

• Moderators

Yup, you are correct this did suprise me

So after this revelation I ran a Regshot and snapped the registry and C:\ before and after pressing the clear all site list

Then did a couple more experiments and found that these sites are stored in the

%AppData%\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\settings.sol

Comparing a Settings.sol that has a site (hulu.com) with a Clean new Settings.sol

the end of the "with" file contains the following which is not in the "empty" one

00  07domains 03 00 0Cwww.hulu.com 01 01 00  00?  00 00 05panel 00?? 00 00 00 00 00 00  00

So I'll do some more testing but unless the developers of CCleaner can think of a better way the only way to dump these websites is to delete the entire settings.sol file (which will recreate itself on the next flash site run) but will also delete all other flash settings (default camera, Autoupdate timing, Autoupdate last check, trusted/untrusted)

If these concessions are okay with you I can edit the above winapp2.ini and you'll be good to go.

Note I would NOT recommend manually editing this file however as any editing seemed to make Flash recreate the settings.sol anew thus losing any settings anyway

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks, I'm _very_ pleased that you have confirmed it

I think it's a serious issue that should be highlighted

Do you know how it can be brought to the attention of the people at Piriform because I'm convinced they would want to know so they can make their excellent product even better?

Thanks again

Nick A

Yup, you are correct this did suprise me

So after this revelation I ran a Regshot and snapped the registry and C:\ before and after pressing the clear all site list

Then did a couple more experiments and found that these sites are stored in the

%AppData%\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\settings.sol

Comparing a Settings.sol that has a site (hulu.com) with a Clean new Settings.sol

the end of the "with" file contains the following which is not in the "empty" one

00  07domains 03 00 0Cwww.hulu.com 01 01 00  00?  00 00 05panel 00?? 00 00 00 00 00 00  00

So I'll do some more testing but unless the developers of CCleaner can think of a better way the only way to dump these websites is to delete the entire settings.sol file (which will recreate itself on the next flash site run) but will also delete all other flash settings (default camera, Autoupdate timing, Autoupdate last check, trusted/untrusted)

If these concessions are okay with you I can edit the above winapp2.ini and you'll be good to go.

Note I would NOT recommend manually editing this file however as any editing seemed to make Flash recreate the settings.sol anew thus losing any settings anyway