Mofcomp.log and Autorecover - vital or Trash ?

Alan_B

A large number of files, such as 3EC317800FF508210BB945C81C0EACE7.mof

have recently appeared in In C:\Windows\system32\wbem\autorecover\

They all have "Modified" time stamps between 01/08/2009 16:48:54 and 01/08/2009 16:49:14.

System Event Log shows the event log started at 01/08/2009 16:48:16 after a reboot.

The Application Event log shows 4 off ERROR events :-

Event Type: Error

Event Source: WinMgmt

Event Category: None

Event ID: 4

Date: 01/08/2009

Time: 16:49:12

with the descriptions :-

Failed to load MOF C:\AC30D119A40F2C8C8708A20576\I386\LICWMI.MOF while recovering repository file.

Failed to load MOF C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\V1.1.4322\ASPNET.MOF while recovering repository file.

Failed to load MOF C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\V2.0.50727\ASPNET.MOF while recovering repository file.

Failed to load MOF C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\V3.0\WINDOWS COMMUNICATION FOUNDATION\SERVICEMODEL.MOF while recovering repository file.

Incidentally, has Windows lost its mind, I have just checked and I have still got

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

I most definitely cannot see any C:\WINDOWS\MICROSOFT.NET\FRAMEWORK\V3.0 which was purged last year.

Also, both the ASPNET.MOF files exist, but were both last accessed last year,

does this indicate they failed to load because there was no attempt to read them ? ? ? ?

I have rebooted a few dozen times since then but seen no further errors.

Does this mean that "autorecovery" has succeeded and the errors are no longer present,

or has .NET FRAMEWORK set a flag to remind itself "This is something else I cannot do" ?

The *.MOF files are due to a compiler error according to http://nukz.net/reference/wmi/hh/wmisdk/logs_6yb7.htm

and Mofcomp.log should also have been created - but I cannot see it anywhere.

I guess I do not see it because it was in C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Logs\ which is purged by CCleaner.

If only Mofcomp.log existed I might get a clue upon what was going wrong.

Did something bad happen before the reboot, or is this another case of "business as normal" for Windows ! ? ! ? !

From about 01/08/2009 16:00 to 20:00 the phone line was disconnected from the Modem for safety.

In that period I used RevoUninstaller to supervise removal of ESET Antivirus and Comodo Firewall,

and then installed a complete Comodo Antivirus Firewall product.

I suspect something happened during the ESET removal to create all these *.MOF files,

but nothing bad happened during the subsequent Firewall removal,

and any Mofcomp.log survived many reboots during the subsequent replacement of protection,

but only the first reboot encountered those Application Errors.

Only after many reboots and apparent normality was CCleaner run again, so Mofcomp.log should have remained till then.

Can I safely delete these *.MOF files, or will they get re-created every morning.

Regards

Alan