A Small Problem With Recuva

Eyce

I downloaded your program the other day and by the looks of it, it's great but there is one small problem I have found.

A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning out my PC for space and I accidentally deleted an important video that I had made and cleared my Recycle Bin without knowing. Now normally, Revuva would have picked it up but here is the problem. The video was in a folder.

Now I have tried and tried using Recuva both on 'deep scan' and the regular scan but cannot seem to find it. Is that the reason I cannot seem to detect it? Because it was in a folder?

Is there any way possible for me to get my file back using Recuva or by any other means necessary?

Thank you for your time.

• Moderators

I don't think that the folder is relevant. Files deleted to the recycler may be renamed to $Dcxx.ext in XP and $Rxxxxxx.ext in Vista, so you could try those names. However if the file was deleted a few weeks ago the chances of recovery won't be good.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, being in a folder is irrelevant. In Advanced Options Recuva can reconstruct original directory trees.

While usually don't have much spare room on my 500gig drive, sometimes down to about 3 free gigs, a few days ago I found some old photos that I hadn't realized were deleted. I was very happy to have found them... especially since Recuva said they were unrecoverable. They survived lots of drive usage and numerous defrags. But the longer you wait after a file is deleted, the worst your chances are of recovering a file intact... especially larger ones. There are other file recovery programs out there that you can try. Also one of the big name security suites? either Nortons or MaAfee has file deletion protection. Maybe you have it. Last, I don't know if this tool would help www.shadowexplorer.com since I don?t know whether Shadow Copy covers video? or survives if files are deleted.