So abu aufa's dilemma brings up a question!

slowday444

Although I'm pretty well covered in the backup department with AyRecovery, one of the three "snapshot" clones and Norton Ghost, my original system installation CD is XP SP1. If I wanted to reformat, it would take a day to catch up to SP3 and slipstreaming first wouldn't be any better. Indeed, the "how to's" out there right now actually mention that they don't know if SP1 to SP3 would work. So my question is: Can you a purchase an XP3 CD, even from MS, for a reasonable price anywhere or are you relegated to just slipstreaming your original CD? Thank You!

• Moderators

Are we talking XP SP3 here, and not the Operating System itself?

You can download an SP3 ISO Image from below and burn it to disk. This is the one I used to install SP3, and I also have it there on CD as a backup. Of course it's free.

Microsoft have released the XP SP3 as an ISO image, which enables you to download, burn to a disc with your regular burning software and then install from your CD, rather than from an installer package. This CD contains all the fixes, updates and security hotfixes released previously, so it’s a large file at around 540MB.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Download/114...xp-sp-3-cd.aspx

• Moderators

Yes it's Service Pack 3.

Going by the first couple of sentences of slowdays original post, I'm guessing he may mean SP3 and not XP3, which is why I asked the question...

Are we talking XP SP3 here, and not the Operating System itself?

... and hence the answer I gave, and if I'm wrong, no worries.