Still A Lot of Fragmentation After Running Defraggler

norel

After running the Defraggler a couple of times there are still large areas of fragmentation (red) on the drive map. When I try to select only those files and defrag them they won't defrag. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? I have Vista SP1.

After running the Defraggler a couple of times there are still large areas of fragmentation (red) on the drive map. When I try to select only those files and defrag them they won't defrag. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? I have Vista SP1.

Vista "locks" a lot more files than XP and you can't (seem to) disable Hibernation (temporarily) to defrag the huge hiberfil.sys

The best thing I can suggest is that you make an "Ultimate Boot CD" and use defraggler from that independent XP system.

Another option may be to move your hard drive temporarily to another PC as a second drive.

I said "make" a boot-CD because Ms licences prohibit anyone legally distributing a workable Windows boot-CD. The Ultimate is a kit to brew your own legally, using the license already valid for the same PC. It is a long and tedious process and (so far) not ready for Vista, so that solution requires your PC to have been upgraded from XP and to have the XP installation CD from which to build the UBCD.

There is another legal option: buy a "Windows Embedded" kit at huge cost. Its boot CD has the advanced "Windows Pre-Installation Environment" (nickname WinPie) which has sufficient desktop to run Defraggler and from which UBCD (and others) are derived.

So, have you thought of using Linux?

Most Linux file-systems don't suffer fragmentation in the first place!