How to recover an empty folder

roeelo

Hello all.

First of all, Recuva is great!!

You've saved me some important info.

I have a question. let's say i have a folder with a document and a picture inside.

I managed to recover the document and the picture, but the folder itself i didn't found. it's important to me because of it's name and the date he was created.

How can i find and restore the empty folder to?

• Moderators

The deleted doc and pic that Recuva found might have the folder name in the Info tab, or set the View Mode in Options/General to Tree.

I don't know any way of getting the folder creation date back.

Well, you are right.

The folder name can be restore too, but the only thing that missing is the creation/modified date of the deleted folder.

If someone know how to restore it, or why it can't be restore - I'll be happy to hear.

• Moderators

Yes, if you choose Restore Folder Structure in Recuva options then the full directory path is indeed restored, but with the date of the restore of course. I guess that this is because you're creating a new folder, and Windows is not going to let any common or garden application write data in the MFT.

As far as I understand the myriad complexities of NTFS the directory has an entry in the MFT as well as the files, and would have a date created timestamp. However Recuva doesn't show directory entries as seperate entities: whether they can't be or Recuva doesn't think it serves any point is not anything I can pontificate on. I would think that as the folder structure can be restored then there's no mileage in trying to patch together an old directory entry. I think you have to concede that a request to reinstate the create date of a directory is rare, I've never come across it here before.

Date modifed is of course pointless, it will be the date the files were deleted.

I think you have to concede that a request to reinstate the create date of a directory is rare, I've never come across it here before.

Well, i am a unique person ;)

Thank you for your educated explanation.