How to restore individual files

MilesCh

WinXP with CCleaner 2.20.920: If several files were removed and first copied them to the log file, how can 1 or more entries be restored?

FYI using restore points when I first tried it a few years ago, found it untrustworthy, so am using Acronis True Image. For the sake of argument, let's assume I don't have an image just prior to running CCleaner and perhaps 100 files were removed which are seen in a log file. Two of these 100 files need to be restored. Is there a method to do this?

When CCleaner is run if items such as temporary files, history, etc., are checked to be be removed and you right click and choose save as file, they are saved as a log.txt. I guess Augeas has answered the question, they are not recoverable with CCleaner. That being the case, guess I won't be using CCleaner.

Yes, they are recoverable with Recuva; however, all to frequently the results of removal of a file is not noticed until some time later when another program doesn't work properly, so don't believe Recuva is the answer either as a file may be written over by then.

I had hoped that CCleaner would put the removed files into the Recycle Bin to be readily recovered, but that's not the case.

• Moderators

I think you only have to tick the 'email me if there's a response' box once on the first post, if you're a thread starter anyway.

I also think that CC does the equivalent of a shift/del to the files it's removing, and a rename, overwrite, and shift/del to those it's securely deleting. The question of saving what's been deleted has been raised before. As CC generally cleans temporary files only then it's not likely to remove anything that's essential to an application's operation. I consider that I'm a moderate pc user and I clean about 50 mb every few days (mostly surf stuff) so the recycler would soon become a large incomprehensible melange of unidentifiable files.

Ther registry is another thing, and I assume you're not discussing that specifically, as you mention files. The registry changes are, or can be, backed up and restored of course.

A monthly or so backup always produces a nice warm feeling. Which reminds me, I must do one.