.mkv not part of recuva's list?

133794m3r

ok i tried to use recuva to get my .mkvs back but when i did even the deep scan i got NO .mkv files at all. I saw all of my .mp4s, and every other format that i had ever had on it. All of them every last file type i had ever used on here except my .mkvs now this makes no sense that a file that was just deleted couldn't be recovered yet really old ones can. I'm guessing recuva doesn't work with mkv?

• Moderators

As far as I know it doesn't make the slightest difference what the file extension is. If Recuva can find it it will. Very recently created files which are deleted can seemingly disappear of the face of the earth. This is because they will have used the next available slot in the MFT for the file details. When the file is deleted the slot becomes available and can be quickly reused, in seconds. Opening Recuva may well create a prefetch file, or recently used program entry for instance.

I don't know why deep scan can't find any mkv files at all. Did you use the recycler to delete the files?

As far as I know it doesn't make the slightest difference what the file extension is. If Recuva can find it it will. Very recently created files which are deleted can seemingly disappear of the face of the earth. This is because they will have used the next available slot in the MFT for the file details. When the file is deleted the slot becomes available and can be quickly reused, in seconds. Opening Recuva may well create a prefetch file, or recently used program entry for instance.

I don't know why deep scan can't find any mkv files at all. Did you use the recycler to delete the files?

no i had on my D parition i had it set up to just delete the files and not send them to the recycle bin. I had ~30 files in there none of which were found. But i had found files way back from like 05 never knew this thing's HDD was that old wonderful. and also some of the old files i had used like 2 months ago and deleted but not a single MKV.