BAT and CMD files not working

P & A Wood

Hi Everyone,

Since running CCleaner on a PC last week none of the .bat or .cmd files work, and programs like Sage will not run.

If you run a .bat shortcut from the desktop all the icons and the mouse pointer and toolbars disappear briefly but nothing else happens.

If you run Sage Accounts you get the Sage logo screen but again nothing else.

Can anyone help please??

Regards

Tim Mason

• Moderators

Did you run the registry clean option? Did you 'fix' all issues? Did you take a registry backup when requested?

If yes to all three then I suggest that you restore the registry backup. Right click on the backup file (something like cc_20090417_095608.reg in My Documents) and select Merge. If no to any, or having problems with the reg mrege, post back here.

Did you run the registry clean option? Did you 'fix' all issues? Did you take a registry backup when requested?

If yes to all three then I suggest that you restore the registry backup. Right click on the backup file (something like cc_20090417_095608.reg in My Documents) and select Merge. If no to any, or having problems with the reg mrege, post back here.

Thanks for the reply. The answer is yes to all three questions but I have just run the merge and nothing has changed. :(

Any other ideas?

• Moderators

Unfortunately not too many. A sys restore from a point before you ran CC might help, and can be backed out if you don't like it. I'm not too confident that sys restore will solve CC issues as it only restores critical system files, not data, but it's worth a try. That's on XP, Vista sys restore does do some data restore, but I'm not a Vista user.

Thanks for both of the above but unfortunately neither have worked.

I have tried replacing the shortcuts, and running the .bat files directly on the network and they will not work from that machine, but will on all others.

Any more suggestions.....?

• Moderators

I dunno, some environment variable missing? Do the bat files contain full path filenames? Do they have a @Echo off line which you can edit out and then run so that there may be an error message produced? Can you try this on a harmless bat file? I'm no great expert in batting.

Well I tried editing out the '@echo off' line and it still did the same thing - the icons, open windows and taskbar disappear (but not the wallpaper) and then after a few seconds they come back, except the window I had open to access the .bat file.

The .bat files in question are on the network and work fine on other workstations, and they do contain the full path filenames.

• Moderators

You could look at the logs in the Event Viewer, but I've never found these to be very helpful. Apart from this I'm stumped. Anyone else have any ideas?

Well I tried editing out the '@echo off' line and it still did the same thing - the icons, open windows and taskbar disappear (but not the wallpaper) and then after a few seconds they come back, except the window I had open to access the .bat file.

The .bat files in question are on the network and work fine on other workstations, and they do contain the full path filenames.

what happens if you try to directly run the command line?

Start / All Programs / Acessories / Command Prompt

also try Start / run / type CMD / press enter

do either work?

If it opens:

(for ease of typing) put a bat file in you C:/ drive

then type C:\name.bat Where name is the name of your bat file.

does it run now?

fireryone