Lost pictures

roger11

A year ago I realised that some photos I had stored on a CD were no longer viewable. This was, and still is, a disaster. The photos recorded some critical stages of housebuild which need to be available for official inspection. They were so important that I had made 2 disc copies. Both have the problem.

At the time that I realised I couldn't see the pics (computer reported disc was empty) I tried several advertised 'free' recovery programmes. Only one of them actually 'saw' all 1700 pics on the disc (as icons) and I went on to buy this programme. But it will only recover the first 249 pictures. The 250th is only half a picture and this seems to be blocking access to the other 1450 pictures after it.

Do you think there is any chance that I'll ever be able to get these critical pictures back?

• Moderators

Hi roger, and welcome to Piriform.

Sorry to hear about your problem, but it's odd that both CD's have the same problem. Just out of interest, have you tried viewing the pictures on another computer, or maybe viewing them on TV via a home DVD player?

Just to confirm that the problem is the CD's and not the PC. If it is the CD's, then the fact that both of them have the same problem could mean they weren't saved/transferred to CD properly by whatever software you used.

If you haven't tried this, it's worth a shot.

Thank you for th suggestions.

I will try with my DVD player/TV. I did try to pursue the problem with the vendor of the DVD/CD recovery programme, but they didn't help. I too suspect that the DVD burning programme might not have done a good job and am getting resigned to never seeing the pics again.

But heh! Life goes on. The inspector will maybe dig up the septic system to look at how we constructed it, or take our word for it. Whatever. Just a pity that we lost pics.