Cyclic Cylinder Something error

comper6

When I ran a deep scan on Recuva it gave a message sorta like scan failed cyclic cylinder redundancy. Does anyone know why, have that problem, or know the solution?

You're probably talking about a CRC or Cyclic Redundancy Check. As simple as I can put it--it's something that you do to a file to check that it hasn't been corrupted.

When you get this error out of a media (e.g. a scratched CD) that means that the CDROM has checked the data it read against a CRC (also stored on the media) and found that the data doesn't match the CRC.

If you're looking at a disk, try cleaning and buffing it to take out scratches. If it's flash or a hard drive, you probably won't have much luck.

CRC fails are annoying because you cna get one when only one bit is wrong. The rest of the data might be there and somewhat usable....you just need a tool to raw read all of it for you....these are somewhat rare (but a program named "DD" will do this for you)

-Glen

You're probably talking about a CRC or Cyclic Redundancy Check. As simple as I can put it--it's something that you do to a file to check that it hasn't been corrupted.

When you get this error out of a media (e.g. a scratched CD) that means that the CDROM has checked the data it read against a CRC (also stored on the media) and found that the data doesn't match the CRC.

If you're looking at a disk, try cleaning and buffing it to take out scratches. If it's flash or a hard drive, you probably won't have much luck.

CRC fails are annoying because you cna get one when only one bit is wrong. The rest of the data might be there and somewhat usable....you just need a tool to raw read all of it for you....these are somewhat rare (but a program named "DD" will do this for you)

-Glen

Hypothetically, if I did checked the disk for errors would that solve it?

The computer is mightier than the sword

link1.gif link1.gif

Click here for cool stuff