Recovering Word documents

Mira

I'm trying to recover some Word documents that were lost at the end of August '08 when my laptop battery ran down before I had logged off properly (I guess it was one time too many). When I switched it on again, OS couldn't be found so I had to wipe my hard drive and start over. Unfortunately I hadn't made backups :( I asked Recuva to search only for documents, but instead it found what seemed to be pretty much everything on my hard drive, including mp3s, videos and jpgs, except what I was looking for. It took 6 hours and yielded 400,786 results. I made a pretty good stab at searching through the first 25% of results, but had to concede defeat eventually. I thought you could specify what type of file you were looking for? Is it possible to sift through the results for a specific file type? I'd be very grateful if anyone out there can offer some advice on what I could be doing wrong, and whether it's even possible to restore my files. I appreciate it's been several months now but I don't want to give up just yet...

• Moderators

You can of course enter doc in the File/path box (but not .doc). In my experience Recuva will do a full scan and then show filtered results, no matter what you put in the File/Path box, so it won't make the scan any shorter. I don't think your chances are high, though.

As you formatted the drive are you running a deep scan? (By the runtime and number of files found it sounds like it.)

Hi thanks for your advice, I haven't been able to get online till today as my connection was down. I realised why I got far too many results with the first scan - chose the 'search everywhere' option (yup it was a deep scan). I ran another scan but this time but checked only the C drive box so I got around 300 results - a lot easier to sift through! Found what I believe are my lost Word docs but I don't know if the recovered files are any good yet though as I still need to install the full version of Office. Btw thanks for the other tip - I had typed .doc, not doc - I'll know better for next time ^_^