File sorting according to path+name alphabetical order ?

thoste

Just a third remark:

I prefer to not only defrag the hard disc but adjust sorting files to alphabetical

path and filname. So

D:\aaa\bbb.zip

comes before

D:\bbb\aaa.zip

More and more defrag programs offer this option.

Could Defraggler include this option as well in the next release ?

Thank you

Thomas

• Moderators

Unless I'm misreading what you mean, I think Defraggler already has that ability.

In the File List, click the "Filename" box, and you can switch between alphabetical order, ascending or descending. Alternatively, click the "path" box and you can do the same with that list.

Unless I'm misreading what you mean, I think Defraggler already has that ability.

In the File List, click the "Filename" box, and you can switch between alphabetical order, ascending or descending. Alternatively, click the "path" box and you can do the same with that list.

I am NOT talking about the visible result list as it is shown in Defraggler.

I am talking about the physical order in which the files are stored on the hard disc!!!

Does Defraggler have this option?

Thomas

I am NOT talking about the visible result list as it is shown in Defraggler.

I am talking about the physical order in which the files are stored on the hard disc!!!

Does Defraggler have this option?

Thomas

I don't think any defrag program has this capability... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't see why you would want to do that? No offense meant, but how would that be beneficial?

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif

I don't think any defrag program has this capability... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't see why you would want to do that? No offense meant, but how would that be beneficial?

Really?

At least O&O Defrag has such an option. Furthermore two other programs (I don't rmemember their name) as well.

The reason for such a sort order is to group files together which are most probably read and used together.

Say a program has 15 DLLs and 3 config files and 10 help files and more stuff in one directory.

If I load/start later the program then the hard disc head position movements are reduced to a minimum.

All the stuff can load in one step from one sector of the hard disc.

Maybe I am wrong... I wasn't certain when I first replied. I've never seen it in any defrag program I have used... JKDefrag, Defraggler, Windows Defragmenter, and AusLogics Defrag

swagger (Keith)

There's always an exception to the rule. I'm that exception.

Desktop ----- AMD Athlon 3700+ (2.64Ghz), 2GB DDR 400, ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, 500GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP3, Avira Antivir Personal

At work ----- Intel C2D T1700 (1.6Ghz), 2GB DDR2 667, Dell OUY141, 80GB HD, Windows XP Pro SP2, Symantec 10

Laptop ----- Intel C2D P8400 (2.4 Ghz), 4GB DDR3 1066, Mainboard, 160GB HD, Dualboot: Windows 7/openSUSE 11.1, Avira Antivir Personal

link1.gif