New Function Request

cogitocn

Hello, thank you for this great software. I was wondering is that possible to add an optional function to it so that whenever the IE or Firefox (or other explorers) is closed, CCleaner automatically starts the cache/cookies cleaning? This functions guarantees a clean history whenever a new session begins.

Of course we can do this manually, but you know . . .

Thanks.

hmm... I can think of a couple ways the developers could do that. The best way to do that would be if someone wrote a plug-in for Firefox that automatically clears all of you're usage tracks on exit. However there are many other applications that it would be nice if CCleaner could clear their usage tracks on exit a the best way I can think of them making that a feature would be if they included an optional service with CCleaner that monitors the launching and closing of programs from a list of programs selected by the user. CCleaner would then clear those selected applications usage tracks on exit when they exit. Although this could be quite useful is a feature I cannot see the developers adding lightly or anytime soon. So that is way I think that making a plug-in for Firefox is by far the best option for the time being. Unfortunately though for the mean time that is currently beyond my abilities.

By the way there already is a feature built into Firefox that lets you delete most of your usage tracks on exit under: tools/options/privacy (the big tab on the top) at the bottom there are two little boxes that says always clear my privet data and always ask me before clearing my privet data click both of them and you should from now on get a little dialog box that asks you what you want to delete.

However I do agree that it would be nice if there was away of getting CCleaner to do this on exit since CCleaner wipes that data instead of just deleting it like Firefox does. So it would be nice if the developers or anyone else skillful enough to do that would make a plug-in to do that.

• Moderators

Well, to each his - or her - own, but you can be too clean. It does seem rather pointless and wasteful clearing up all the time then downloading the same stuff again. Why not just clear up at the end of the day or at shutdown?

Well, to each his - or her - own, but you can be too clean. It does seem rather pointless and wasteful clearing up all the time then downloading the same stuff again. Why not just clear up at the end of the day or at shutdown?

Not really it takes up space and it is a security threat (on a privacy level) and I like making sure that when I clean something it is unrecoverable. besides I almost never download the same thing twice.

Thank you guys for the replies.

There is a shareware called "Powerful Cookies" that has this function (but this software has problem in handling the file index.dat). So the existence of this function proves it is useful, doesn't it?

Anyway, with this function, for example, Yahoo Mail won't be able to track your activities, even if you forget to clean the cookies manually.

Basically, this function is useful at least for the forgetful.

that is somewhat incorrect things like hotmail,yahoo mail, gmail, tagged...etc can still track your ip address weather or not you clear your cookies.while they do use cookies for some data mining I would imaged that they do most of their tracking by logging your ip address and monitoring where it has been. since most people have a static ip address this would work quite well. as far as i know those sites use cookies manly for storing passwords and stuff like that so if you are running Firefox and want to have multiple hotmail accounts you might want to look into a plugin called cookie swap (i believe that is what it is called) that lets you keep muliple cookie profiles and lets you switch between them at will.

as for completely avoiding being logged for that you would need a proxy but i don't want to get into that at the moment. oh and you are welcome :)

Edit and as for deleting the index.dat file that is quite esay you just need to get you're self a file unlocker. but if you don't want to do that you can always just take ownership of it under security policies that works even for things like that super protected hidden folder called system volume information