secure delete already deleted files

HomerJaySimpson

Hi

I use CCleaner regularly. I just read about Recuva to see and recover files deleted without using secure delete in CCleaner. I did a scan with Recuva and was able to see some file names of files deleted before using CCleaner (some a few years old) and I was able to recover a couple of random ones I tried.

Some of these I could careless about. Some are personal files that I really want gone for good.

If I use Recuva doing a deep scan on the file type "other: show all file types" and "I'm not sure: search everywhere on this computer" will I find all the pre-CCleaner-deleted-files? I can then set the options of Recuva to do a secure delete. Will this clean the pre-CCleaner-deleted files? Will it also delete the names or rename the files? If it will not delete the names or rename the files, is there a way I can do it?

If I selet all files that show up in a scan type above, will there be any undesirable results? There is nothing I have already deleted (securely or not) that I will ever want to recover (unless it is an important opperating file or something that I don't know I deleted)

Thanks

• Moderators

Secure delete with Recuva has been discussed many times, a forum search may provide you with more info.

If I use Recuva doing a deep scan on the file type "other: show all file types" and "I'm not sure: search everywhere on this computer" will I find all the pre-CCleaner-deleted-files?

Yeessssss, Recuva will read all used sectors and if it can interpret a file header it will flag it as a deleted file (I think that's how it works). The long yes is because there may still be data fragments left, as well as data in windows system files. Recuva is primarily a data recovery tool, not a disk washer.

I can then set the options of Recuva to do a secure delete. Will this clean the pre-CCleaner-deleted files? Will it also delete the names or rename the files?

Yep, but it will take a month of Sundays to run. Filenames will remain unchanged.

If I selet all files that show up in a scan type above, will there be any undesirable results?

None that I can see, apart from the time taken