Test Recover failed

greenhorn

Hello all,

I created a txt file, wrote a line and then deleted it using normal Windows Explorer delete and then

emptied the recycle bin. I then did a recover on the drive and the file did not appear in the list.

At the time nothing else was happening to the hard drive so the cluster should not have been overwritten

and I do have 150GB of free space. To be fair I have nt run it in Deep Scan mode as the drive is fairly

large and it takes ages and seems to stop at 8%, (another problem?) Im using v1.22, Windows XP SP2

with normal format options.

Thanks

• Moderators

In XP files deleted to the recycle bin are renamed to Dcxx.ext, where xx is an ascending number. You could look for the file under that name, there's no need to run a deep scan. Or sort the path name and then look in c:\recycler.

Nope!

I created the txt file on my E drive, and deleted it. I then ran the tool both on the C and E drive

and do not seem to find the file. But then I realised the file was 1kb, I made the file 34kb

and it worked. Perhaps the file is smaller than a cluser?

Anyways, it works and me is happy :lol:

• Moderators

NTFS clusters should be at least 4k, but the size of the file is irrelevant. Recuva will see, but has the sense not to recover, files of zero byte size.

There have been other reports of newly deleted files not being found. Whether this is due to the file record slot in the MFT being immediately overwritten by some other Windows process or not I don't know. In any event all deleted files are newly deleted at the start of their life (or should I say at the start of their limbo). I dunno, somebody should come up with a theory we can all bash.