Desktop Shortcuts

vega43

I have XP. After running CCleaner, I am having trouble with "Create Shortcut" to my desktop. I click on the website and I select "Create Shortcut" and hit ok when it asks for verification. The shortcut appears on my desktop, but not with the usual "E" internet explorer symbol. It has more of a small square symbol that looks like a mini white desktop, or something like that. Clicking it does nothing. When I ran CCleaner, I checked off all boxes except: "Autofill Forms" and "Desktop Shortcuts". I also ran the laptops' Disc CleanUp and Defrag after that. (Is/was it necessary to run those last 2 tools?) I believe this is the same process I used on my other computer and had no problem.

Welcome vega43

Why not use the Favorites instead of messing up the Desktop?

Click on Favorites then Add to Favorites and you can set up Folders to store similar Web sites.

What it is showing you is the Favicon of the site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

If you look in the address bar you will see a small green pear that is the Favicon for this site.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Welcome vega43

Why not use the Favorites instead of messing up the Desktop?

Click on Favorites then Add to Favorites and you can set up Folders to store similar Web sites.

What it is showing you is the Favicon of the site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

If you look in the address bar you will see a small green pear that is the Favicon for this site.

I appreciate that and do use "Favorites", but also would really like to get "Shortcuts" back ????