Defraggler 1.05.111 extreme slow

alsk1

Hello together !

I'm new in this forum and i hope you will have a tip for me because of the very slow defragmentation process of defraggler 1.05.111.

My english isnt very good but i will try do the best to explain :rolleyes:

I have a IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T61 with 4GB RAM and 500GB Western Digital 2.5" SATA HDD.

There are 80GB filled on the 500GB HDD. Defraggler says 19.1 GB are fragmented (1200 files). The first defrag was very fast to 22%. Then it became very slow. The HDD LED flashes every 4 sec. for a short time. It seems: Flash...4sec pause....Flash....4sec pause.

Every file which was moved at this time needs exactly 4 sec. Defraggler shows the filename which is moving at the moment and every file needs 4 sec.

After 5 hours i aborted the process (Status 27%). I restarted the machine and started it again. The defragmentation of the first 27% were fast ! The HDD LED flashes very quick and the files were copied fast. After the 27% the HDD LED flashes...4sec pause...flashes and the same as before..... every file needs 4 seconds....

Whats wrong ?? Please help me. THANKS !

Hello alsk1,

Welcome to the forums !!! :D

Thanks for a good description of your system. You forgot to tell us if you are using WinXP or Vista but I am presuming that you are using Vista.

With the number of defragmented files that you report, I would advise that you only need to defragment the "file list". This will be be much quicker than "defragmenting the whole drive". You have loads of unused space from what you describe. When defragmenting the whole drive, all the files are being moved to the outside of the disk and in your case it is trying to pack as much as possible. This is resulting in the movement of 80 GB of files. This can also be complicated by Vista creating System Restore files while Defraggler is running.

The beginning (22%) went fast because most of these files were already packed to the outside of the disk from your initial install and use of the system.Unlike the Defraggler program, Vista defragmenter program does not try to force as much data as possible to the front of the disk. You can probably get by with only "file list" defragmentation of Defraggler for a long, long time. You do not need the "whole disk" optimization of Defraggler. Many Vista users can get by with just relying on the Vista Disk Defragmenter program to keep their drive defragmented.

To defragment the "file list" click on the "File list" tab and check the box next to the Filename Header. then click on the "Defrag Checked" button. This will cause all of the fragmented files to be defragmented. Note with Vista that this could also include large System Volume Information(System Restore) files. The Vista Disk Defragmenter program does not bother to defragment these files or file fragments that are larger than 64 MB.

Best wishes, :) davey