delete recuva file

jc48167

• Moderators

The only thing you can do with Recuva is to overwrite them with zeroes, so the content will not be recoverable by anything (well, it will, but will be zeroes). The filename and path will still be visible. You can alternatively stop cleaning, especially your browsing, and eventually the file name, path and contents will be overwritten by a new and presumably perfectly unobjectionable file. Then you can have a good clean.

If they are small files in the MFT then Recuva will not be able to touch them, so plan B is all you can do.

The only thing you can do with Recuva is to overwrite them with zeroes, so the content will not be recoverable by anything (well, it will, but will be zeroes). The filename and path will still be visible. You can alternatively stop cleaning, especially your browsing, and eventually the file name, path and contents will be overwritten by a new and presumably perfectly unobjectionable file. Then you can have a good clean.

If they are small files in the MFT then Recuva will not be able to touch them, so plan B is all you can do.

How does one overwrite a Recuva file with zeroes?

And thanks for the reply.

How does one overwrite a Recuva file with zeroes?

And thanks for the reply.

Recuva has 4 options to delete files with secure, so files cannot recover completely anymore using any undelete programs (like Recuva).

4 options for Secure Deletion in Recuva:

- Simple Overwrite (1 pass)

- DOD 5220.22-M (3 passes)

- NSA (7 passes)

- Gutmann (35 passes)

Below step-by-step to secure delete files with Recuva:

- Open Recuva and scan hard-disk (the same step to recover files)

- Click Options button

- In General Tab, Advanced section, in Secure deletion you could choose from 4 options

- Click OK

- Tick files that want permanently deleted

- Right click on that files, at the bottom of pop-up menu, select "Secure Delete Checked"

Hopefully it could answer your questions.

Recuva has 4 options to delete files with secure, so files cannot recover completely anymore using any undelete programs (like Recuva).

4 options for Secure Deletion in Recuva:

- Simple Overwrite (1 pass)

- DOD 5220.22-M (3 passes)

- NSA (7 passes)

- Gutmann (35 passes)

Below step-by-step to secure delete files with Recuva:

- Open Recuva and scan hard-disk (the same step to recover files)

- Click Options button

- In General Tab, Advanced section, in Secure deletion you could choose from 4 options

- Click OK

- Tick files that want permanently deleted

- Right click on that files, at the bottom of pop-up menu, select "Secure Delete Checked"

Thanks for the reply.

I am using Recuva 1.22.384 on Windows ME.

When I click on Options, and under Advanced, I have 2 choices:

Automatically check for updates to Recuv

Save all settings to INI file

I don't see any reference to Secure Deletion.

I must be missing something.

I will appreciate your continued help.

• Moderators

Hmm. About 5mm below Save all settings to INI File is a selection box labelled Secure Deletion. This defaults to one overwrite, which is quite sufficient. You cannot choose nothing. Close Options and return to the main screen.

When you run a scan in Recuva, and right click on a file name, at the bottom of the context box you will see Secure Delete Highlighted, and Secure Delete Checked, depending on whether you have highlighted or checked, or both, the file name. Chose one and click on it and you will see a confirmation box, Press Yes.

Hmm. About 5mm below Save all settings to INI File is a selection box labelled Secure Deletion. This defaults to one overwrite, which is quite sufficient. You cannot choose nothing. Close Options and return to the main screen.

When you run a scan in Recuva, and right click on a file name, at the bottom of the context box you will see Secure Delete Highlighted, and Secure Delete Checked, depending on whether you have highlighted or checked, or both, the file name. Chose one and click on it and you will see a confirmation box, Press Yes.

Hmmm. I wish I knew how to send you a copy of a sreen shot showing what my "Option" screen looks like.

I have only the 2 options I mentioned previously (check for updates and save settings).

I see no reference to secure deletion.

When I right click on the bottom of the context box, I see only the following:

"Recover Highlighted

Recover Checked (which is greyed out)

Check Highlighted

Uncheck highlighted

Highlight Folder

View Mode"

Again, there is no reference to delete.

Could it be that I have an earlier version of Recuva???

It looks like I have 1.22.384

I apreciate your sticking with me.

• Moderators

You appear to have the latest version of Recuva. Ever since secure deletion was introduced oh I dunno, a couple of years or so ago, the secure overwrite option and the secure delete choice in the context box have been there. Did you download recuva from a safe source, such as Piriform's website?

Apart from that I don't know what would cause this apparent program modification. The more I think of it the more it seems that you have a very old version. When you do a scan, do you get Stage 1 and Stage 2 running, or just a simple scan and that's it? In Options/Actions, do you have Scan for Non-deleted Files as the last Scanning option?

Hmmm. I wish I knew how to send you a copy of a sreen shot showing what my "Option" screen looks like.

I have only the 2 options I mentioned previously (check for updates and save settings).

I see no reference to secure deletion.

When I right click on the bottom of the context box, I see only the following:

"Recover Highlighted

Recover Checked (which is greyed out)

Check Highlighted

Uncheck highlighted

Highlight Folder

View Mode"

Again, there is no reference to delete.

Could it be that I have an earlier version of Recuva???

It looks like I have 1.22.384

I apreciate your sticking with me.

You already have the latest version of Recuva (version 1.22.384).

But, because you're using Windows ME, the same family with Windows 98, there is no Secure Deletion option. Secure Deletion option only available for Windows 2000 and newer version.

From this link:

http://www.recuva.com/download

in System requirements section, we could know that Recuva could run on the following Windows version:

- Runs on Microsoft Windows Vista, XP, 2003, 2000 and 98.

But, from this link:

http://www.recuva.com/download/version-history

in the middle of page, you could read this information:

----------------------

v1.10.223

- Added Secure Deletion option (Win2k and newer).

----------------------

So, Secure Deletion option only available for Windows 2000 and newer version. I want to test it, to install Windows ME on my Virtual Machine, and try to install Recuva on it. But, unfortunately, I don't have any Windows ME with me.

You already have the latest version of Recuva (version 1.22.384).

But, because you're using Windows ME, the same family with Windows 98, there is no Secure Deletion option. Secure Deletion option only available for Windows 2000 and newer version.

From this link:

http://www.recuva.com/download

in System requirements section, we could know that Recuva could run on the following Windows version:

- Runs on Microsoft Windows Vista, XP, 2003, 2000 and 98.

But, from this link:

http://www.recuva.com/download/version-history

in the middle of page, you could read this information:

----------------------

v1.10.223

- Added Secure Deletion option (Win2k and newer).

----------------------

So, Secure Deletion option only available for Windows 2000 and newer version. I want to test it, to install Windows ME on my Virtual Machine, and try to install Recuva on it. But, unfortunately, I don't have any Windows ME with me.

My thanks to Augeas and Byanto for their efforts.

By now, I should know it's important to read all the "fine print."

But, you know how that goes.

Again, my thanks.