Am I doing something wrong? CCleaner, AV BD & SAS

starwarsmex

Windows XP Pro w/SP2

I have installed CCleaner V, 2,14,763, CHECKED Run CCleaner when the computer STARTS

Of Course EACH TIME I turn on my computer CCleaner CLEANS: Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History, Recently, Typed URls, Delete index.dat files, Last Download Location.

Recent Documents, Run (in Start Menu), Search Autocomplete, Other Explorer MRUS

Empty Recycle Bin, Temporary Files, Clipboard, Memory Dumps, Chkdsk File Fragments, Windows Log Files, Start Menu Shortcuts, Desktop Shortcuts.

USING Secure file deletion enabled ? Gutmann (35, passess)

When the scanning of my system is complete from SuperAntispyware Main Menu, I am lucky (QUESTION MARK) because SAS reports that No harmful software was detected.

What Should I Do? Uncheck the CCleaner option Run CCleaner when the computer STARTS and allow SAS delete or quarantined items? IF malware is found, or continue with my current settings?

If I clean my system this way, is because I found out that if I have malware in SAS quarantined items, The AV BitDefender 2009 reports password protected and system no clean, I know BD can excluded objects from scanning but I not feel protected this way

Please note: :blink: I am paranoiac about malwares, and I want to low the infection risk. :blink:

Any Help, Information or suggest is more than welcome ;)

Thanks in advance

Regards

Antonio Macias

• Moderators

Maybe it's a language Barrier But I don't understand.

You Run CCleaner, It works

You Run SAS and it finds No Malware

What exactly is the Problem?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I think you are asking a question unrelated to CCleaner.

If there are items in the SAS quarantine, they cannot run, they are safe.

That the AV can not scan the quarantine is no cause for concern, it is quite normal.

If it found another file on your computer that could not be explained (you didn't put it there/it is not a protected part of the OS) that it says is password protected, that would indicate further investigation.

IMO, you don't need to run a 35 pass run if the purpose is to delete possible malware. Single pass is quite adequate. (Actually, simple delete is quite adequate.)

Can you look in the SAS quarantine and see if anything is in there? Even if not, the quarantine is still likely to be password protected/unable to be scanned.

I think that the two options in CCleaner that cause the most confusion should either be removed or changed

1. Run CCleaner when the computer starts
  2. Secure deletion

t2539_settings.jpg

Why not change:

1 to Run CCleaner at Shutdown

This cleans what the user has been doing in the current session slowing down Shutdown after the user does not need the system anymore thus not slowing down the system at boot up when they want to use it.

2 to just Normal file deletion

This gets rid of the confusion of deletion method and if the user wants more secure file erasure then there are other much more capable applications with specific erasure features for the most stringent government or paranoid user.

By the way, Windows SP3 has been out for 6 months and has several Security Updates.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user