How do I Customise CCleaner for different User Profiles ?

Alan_B

I believe that as standard CCleaner employs the individual users registry to remember which options to check,

hence with 40 years computer experience I have CCleaner remember to analyse everything for me to evaluate and then clean,

whilst it is configured for my daughter with less experience to clean nothing but her own profile,

so there is no danger she could purge a vital program or system file.

1. Will CCleaner ALWAYS work like that ?

Or is there any danger that at some time it might be "enhanced" to use one COMMON set of registry keys ?

2. How may I use CCleaner.ini with these different settings for different users ?

I seem to remember that before the registry obscured everything there were some conditional controls in config.sys and various *.ini files.

Is it possible to adjust CCleaner.ini with conditional controls that test %USERNAME% ?

Or do I have to create a separate *.BAT file to copy an individual *.ini file as the new CCleaner.ini before launching CCleaner.exe ?

3. When "Save all settings to INI file" is first set it creates CCleaner.ini with the settings that were in the registry of the users profile.

When the other user launches CCleaner.exe :-

her registry has mild options and "Save all settings to INI file" is NOT checked,

but CCleaner.ini has aggressive options and "Save all settings to INI file" IS checked.

What is used, the INI or the registry, and does the other one get over-written ?

4. If the CCleaner.ini file exists when CCleaner.exe is launched, is the registry updated ?

5. If "Save all settings to INI file" is unchecked, what happens to an existing CCleaner.ini file ?

6. If in this same state one of the cleaning options is changed, is CCleaner.ini updated for backup purposes etc ?

Now it gets tricky ! !

I have "installed" a more recent "Portable" version on my external hard drive.

To EXACTLY compare the consequences of a more recent version of CCleaner,

I ran the old version and checked the INI file option, which created CCleaner.ini,

which I copied to the new portable folder. I recorded how many files the old version wanted to delete.

I closed the old version and ran the new version, which wanted to delete exactly the same.

The new version had everything checked identical to the old version,

including the INI file option - excepting this was greyed out and could not be changed.

I assume it will be un-greyed and controllable if I delete Portable.dat.

7. If I get the new portable version to use the registry, will it use the same registry key location as the old version ?

8. Am I correct in fearing unexpected glitches whenever a change is made for one of us to use the other version of CCleaner.exe, or to change between Registry control and INI control ?

Regards

Alan