how fast my computer can be!

Paul Weinstock

• Moderators

Hi Paul, and welcome to the forum.

How long is a piece of string? That's about how easy your question is to answer.

If your PC is slow, and I mean noticably slow compared to when you first got it, it could be for many reasons, but if you've never cleaned out temp files and cookies etc, you should be able to notice some difference.

Once again, it also depends on how long you've had your PC, what type of browsing have you done, have you worked with music or video conversions/downloads etc, which can leave quite big temp files behind if the software you use is poorly written, and doesn't remove it's temp files afterwards.

You'll probably get my drift by now, so what I'd recommend to you is be careful and cautious when using CCleaner for the first time. And I strongly recommend leaving the Registry Issues feature alone until you have sorted out the "cleaning" feature of CCleaner.

Leave the "Advanced" boxes unchecked and Analyze before cleaning. If it turns out you have a lot of stuff in the window after analyzing, check it through to see if there's anything in there you don't want cleaning.

It's possible a program, or you yourself, has been placing important stuff in temp files. If your not sure, ask. Far better asking "should I do this?", rather than "how do I fix this?".

And before you do anything, read the "Beginners Guide", a link to which is in my signature, and make sure you always back-up important stuff first.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

Yep. Although I have used CC for years, and I like to keep my pc clean of too much junk, I have never noticed any speed-up after using CC at all. I don't think I am cute enough to notice any reduction in data access time because the read heads now travel 1/4 inch less than they did before. But it's good to keep a clean ship.

Hi, I wonder how fast my computer can be after a full cleanning with CCleaner.

Paul Weinstock

Hi Paul,

A heartfelt welcome from me also. :D

Like the others have said it is all relative.

After using CCleaner for the first time, this PC ran much quicker.

However I came here with a PC that had no maintenance or updates for 3 1/2 years since it was first used.

The real benefits come from taking some more time to read and learn about your PC and Windows. I have read the forums, learned and applied many beneficial things. My PC is now 4 1/2 yrs old and runs quicker and is more secure and useful than ever.

Good luck,

:) davey

I may be new to the forums, and CCleaner as I have only had it for about 2 months now, but i know 1 thing. The registy fixer on it is also very useful at speeding up your computer, although its not as thorough as other leading registry fixers, it does a great job! Also for some extra speed, try disabling some startup programmes using the program located in the "tools" section of CCleaner. And finally, uninstall some stuff! i had loads of junk like old games and pre-installed trials of software.They improve performace at a large scale.In the "tools" part of CCleaner there is an uninstall wizard there.