probem encountered after using CCleaner

antiochguy

Dear Sir

I ran CCleaner a couple of weeks ago and it cleaned up a pile of stuff. I was really happy that it cleared lots of unused/trash on my PC. :P However, over time, I noticed that one of my applications (Nokia PC Suite) no longer connects with my mobile phone (via USB). :unsure:

I am certain it isn't a case of the Nokia PC Suite being corrupted. I downloaded a new copy and re-installed Nokia PC Suite.

I am not sure if CCleaner cleared up any drivers for the USB or some system files.

Can you please tell me how I can fix this problem? I don't really want to re-install my XP Pro OS. :(

Thank you so much.

I downloaded a new copy and re-installed Nokia PC Suite.

What happened then ????

If it worked again, it is unlikely that Nokia installed "drivers for the USB or some system files", therefore CC never removed them.

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

Hi antiochguy, and welcome to the forum.

I was wondering, after just this minute posting in another thread, if you are by any chance using PCGuard? If so, there could be a possibility of a conflict between PCGuard and Nokia PC Suite software.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=106717

Just a thought.

Hi antiochguy, and welcome to the forum.

I was wondering, after just this minute posting in another thread, if you are by any chance using PCGuard? If so, there could be a possibility of a conflict between PCGuard and Nokia PC Suite software.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=106717

Just a thought.

Thank you Alan_B and DennisD for responding.

Dennis, I am not using PC Guard. I do have Zonealarm and Spysweeper running tho.

Alan, to answer your question on what happened after I re-installed Nokia PC SUite...

After Nokia Suite is installed, it usually asks the user for the type of connectivity to the mobile phone ie. cable, Bluetooth etc. This is done through a radio button that the user can select.

In the case of my PC, the radio buttons are not active. I cannot choose the connection of choice. This is where it ends. It isn't a problem with the USB driver as the USB services are working.

Any ideas how I can roll back or fix the problem??

To summarise :-

1. installing Nokia PC Suite failed to fix the problem;

2. USB drivers are still working O.K.

My experience includes applications that can work when first installed, but after they are "broken" they will not work upon a second installation. Something is left behind which makes the installer think the application is already installed, and you have to un-install before you can have a further successful installation.

With luck one simply downloads and re-installs - it might not be fully functional, but with luck it will deposit enough valid information for Add/Remove Program to un-install cleanly.

If that fails I have seen strong recommendations for http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Any ideas how I can roll back or fix the problem??

Alternative possibilities :-

Any registry cleaning can be undone by restoring the registry,

preferably via the backup which CC will have recommended that you do, alternatively via :-

an ERUNT backup (creation takes 10 Seconds and is automatic at start of day); or

System Restore to a point pre-dating the cleanse.

Any file cleanse cannot be undone.

Unfortunately CC refuse to delete into the ReCycle Bin,

and once it is gone it is gone for ever, but you have 3 possibilities :-

1. RECUVA can with luck retrieve files that have been deleted, and the quicker you try it the luckier you will be;

(The longer you wait the greater the risk that the deleted file will get over-written, and if RECUVA is not already installed then Murphy's law dictates that installing RECUVA itself will over-write the file you wanted to un-delete !!!)

2. System Restore to a point pre-dating the cleanse - you may be lucky;

3. System Restore to the point at or immediately after first installing Nokia PC Suite.

Regards

Alan