help! lost a lot of free space and it is my second time!

zieuas

hi,

first of all i love this program. I am also using CCleaner. both programs are awesome!! :D

However, I encounter some strange problem, which has been mentioned by other defraggler users as I looked through the forum: losing free space!!

I know my post might be another problem report that says the same problem some people encounters but in my case, I have experienced two times!!

my OS is windows vista and my laptop has 110gb.

I recently exprienced my laptop gets slow down and downloaded CCleaner and defraggler as most people in this forum did. and it ran fast again!

in my first encounter of losing free space. as I ran it for two or three times just in order to get those fragmented blocks to defragmented, I now had 12.5gb or more free space lost. and also I had system information and other unidentified folders and files as other people mentioned in their posts. they don't seem to be removed. my laptop got really slow again and I was not happy. so I did analyze then check for the error in a hope that that losing free space problem would be solved. And it did! after checkin for an error, my hard was regained space!!

in my second encounter of losing free space. so I was happy and my laptop got faster again. and now I got addicted and did defraggler everyday... and I encountered this problem again!!! this time I lost 9.5gb or so free space and that system information and other old friends visited my laptop again! but this time it seems they dont' wanna go easily. I tried the same step I did for the first experience but it didn't work. Also I selected those system information and stuff and tried to defragment only those files but they were not recognized! so I ran Window defragment program and it seemed that that program also could not recognize anything. I tried things that people said in this forum but none were working...my laptop got slow down again and I am unhappy again.

I read some posts that reported the same problem as mine but none of them had this problem two times and I thought it would be worth to report it.

please!! help me!!

thanks for reading this!

Hello zieuas,

Welcome to the forums!!! :D

Thank you for your input.

Refer to the following link for more information regarding your problem.

Too much "defragmentation" can slow down "your" type of processing also.

You do not need to "defragment" so often. Especially since you are using Vista.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=118622

Run the Vista Defragmenter and you will see most of your "lost" space freed-up. The space is being used by Vista.

Good luck,

:) davey

hi Davey

thank you for the reply!!

as it was suggested, i ran the window defragment program again..

and I have no luck this time again... still slow and still unhappy. :angry::(

I am wondering what would be the next step from now.

I am trying to think of other possiblities for the cause of this problem or other solutions.

1. I am using window vista home edition and it is in Korean.

so I thought the difference in language could cause such problem? DEfraggle is in English. so if I download Korean version of defraggler then it would be OK?

2. would the cause of the problem be that I ran too many time of Defraggler so that it stopped working?

(obviously I am not good at computer.... :unsure:

3. could other defragment program can fix this problem?(I don't mean to be disloyal(!) to defraggler or anything but...you know...I want to get it fixed by all means....)

4. what is the debug version you talked about in other posts? if I run it then it would be helpful to solve this problem?

5. it seems like when it defrags my HD, it is always around 40-43% that the program reads very very slow then it defrags the rest fast. woudl there be some thing stuck(not physically but like a lots of fragmented files stcuk there?) at that postion of HD?(I do'nt know how defraggler works so this is the very logic I can come up with...)

please tell me what you think.

thanks,

JAy

hi Davey

thank you for the reply!!

as it was suggested, i ran the window defragment program again..

and I have no luck this time again... still slow and still unhappy. :angry::(

please tell me what you think.

thanks,

JAy

Hi Jay,

If there is a Korean version of Defraggler, you can use it and tell us and the translator how it works for you.

This will help us. However I do not think that it will change anything as regards the speed of your PC.

Tell us about your computer and your Hard Drive or multiple drives. How much used space and free space ?

What programs are you running when your PC slows down?

When you run the Hard Drive "check for Errors" program, what results do you get?

Some of this information may help others to think about other solutions for your problem.

Any snapshots of your Task Manager when this occurs may also help.

Good luck,

:) davey

P.S. I will think about this some more but that is all I can suggest for now.

I do think that you do not need to run any "defragmentation" programs for now. Let Vista take care of that for you for right now. It will do it automatically for you. Let us see what happens but the other information is still needed, so that we can assist you further.

Edited by davey

Hi, davey

thanks for your reply!

I will try to take snapshots and get more information about my laptop and stuff!

about checking for error thing,

after checking for error, I regained all of the data. I did not give attention to the program so I don't know how but the checking did something.

sorry:(

I will keep post more information and stuff!!

jay