Gargantuan file defragmenting

Farrel

Hi all...

So far loving Defraggler, I've finally got my laptop to 0 files fragmented for the first time since I got it. My parents computers are both running very much better, but I'm struggling with my desktop system.

The problem is that although there is a vast amount of free space (85 gig) I'm struggling to get some of the largest files on the drive defragmented. Namely being the packaged files for various steam games, often weighing in at 1-2 gig each.

From what I can see, the problem is that I don't seem to have any blocks of continuous 1-2 gig sections of drive free, they seem to be interrupted by single or multiple lightly used blocks.

Now, I wholeheartedly accept that for a 2 gig file, two fragments (as opposed to the over 2000 it started with) is pretty good, but my fictional OCD kicks in here. There is a huge area free on the disk, but none of the Defragment empty space options seems to maximise it... They both leave scattered small files all over the place.

Is there a way to tell it to move all of the light blue parts in the sea of white to one section of the disk?

It'd mean I don't need to juggle things so much.

Thanks.

Hi all...

So far loving Defraggler, I've finally got my laptop to 0 files fragmented for the first time since I got it. My parents computers are both running very much better, but I'm struggling with my desktop system.

It'd mean I don't need to juggle things so much.

Thanks.

Hello Farrel,

Welcome to the forums. :D

Congratulations on getting things sorted as well as you have on all those PCs.

You failed to tell us about your Desktop.

Please tell us your system specs. and the OS and version that you are using.

Trying to accomplish this on a Vista system is going to be almost impossible, BUT.

Trying to do this on WinXP may be possible but you have to be sure to do certain things.

You have to turn off any scheduled tasks, including disconnect from the Internet to avoid any interference.

All other tasks must be turned off, including Anti-virus.

You may even have to run in safe-mode and this is VERY slow.

Many people want a complete defrag and yet they want to use the PC at the same time. Imagine all the files being created and you can understand that any defrag program is going to have problems.

You may have to turn off the OCD. It may be easier.

How soon before you get an update to that game ? Or any of the games ?

Then you will be right back where you started. It is all up to you.

The information is needed to assist in future development and other possible solutions and any further advice.

How well do you juggle ?

Good luck,

:) davey