Help with Open Office

David_L

I've downloaded it and click the icon to install it and it has that wizard pop up that says it will unpack the files first and then install the program. I go through all the steps but when all is said and done there are no icons on my desktop to click to open any of the programs in the suite. I'm doing something wrong and it's late in the day and my head is fried and I can't figure out what I'm doing. ANy help would be appreciated.

• Moderators

Hi David, probably not your fault. I don't have the program, so this is assumption only.

It's possible you missed a couple of check boxes while it was installing, or it's possible it installs without a desktop shortcut.

Have a look in Start\All Programs, and see if there is an entry for it in the list. If so you can right click the program launch button probably inside a folder and select "Send To...\Desktop (Create Shortcut)".

If no entry there, go to My Computer\C:\Program Files\Open Office (or whatever the folder is called), open the folder and find OpenOffice.exe, or again whatever the exe file for launching the application is called, and again right click the file and "Send to..." etc.

I'm sure someone will have Open Office, and will chip in.

I've downloaded it and click the icon to install it and it has that wizard pop up that says it will unpack the files first and then install the program. I go through all the steps but when all is said and done there are no icons on my desktop to click to open any of the programs in the suite. I'm doing something wrong and it's late in the day and my head is fried and I can't figure out what I'm doing. ANy help would be appreciated.

hi david,if you installed open office 2.4.1 then there is no desktop icon.if you go to programs,open office and double click on one of the components ie calc it will start up and ask you to register.you will then notice an icon in the system tray. right click on this and there is an option to start wth windows.if you install open office 3.0RC3 there is a desktop icon installed automatically.

Thanks y'all. I don't know why I didn't think to look under All Programs. It was all there and I'm using 2.4.1 so I created desktop shortcuts for all the programs in the suite. Have a great weekend!!