CCleaner FILLED hard drive?

dkrueger47

I sent a video I had made with Premiere Elements that was 18.9 GB to the recycle bin and when I ran the cleaner to clean it I knew it would take a while to clean but I was watching Defraggler and my hard disk that was used went from 39.1GB all the way to 450.7GB which is 100% full, as it was cleaning I was watching it go up and up so I thought it would go back to normal after it was done but when I came back the HD was full and I could do nothing about it. After some messing around with another video file, I deleted it and checked Defraggler before I ran CCleaner and bam the HD was back to normal so I restored the video file that I deleted and all is good now.

I have never seen this before with CCleaner, it took my recycle bin video file that was only 18.9GB and made it over 410GB in size.

I sent a video I had made with Premiere Elements that was 18.9 GB to the recycle bin and when I ran the cleaner to clean it I knew it would take a while to clean but I was watching Defraggler and my hard disk that was used went from 39.1GB all the way to 450.7GB which is 100% full, as it was cleaning I was watching it go up and up so I thought it would go back to normal after it was done but when I came back the HD was full and I could do nothing about it. After some messing around with another video file, I deleted it and checked Defraggler before I ran CCleaner and bam the HD was back to normal so I restored the video file that I deleted and all is good now.

I have never seen this before with CCleaner, it took my recycle bin video file that was only 18.9GB and made it over 410GB in size.

Hi dkrueger47,

Welcome to the forums . :D

See this link about what possibly has occurred.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=115472

There are new users and experienced users alike that do not follow this advice. Strange things happen as a result.

I have seen posts from users that want to run Defraggler and other "defrag" programs at the same time or a mix of maintenance programs at the same time.

Is it possible ? Sometimes it is and with no "bad effects". Sometimes means that there are times when there are "major problems".

Do you backup all your Disc drives before doing any such foolishness? Of course not, because it hasn't happened to you YET.

Any one that understands how complex such tasks are will never attempt such things.

This is why the rule is no other programs running.

Best wishes,

:) davey

Hi dkrueger47,

Welcome to the forums . :D

See this link about what possibly has occurred.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=115472

There are new users and experienced users alike that do not follow this advice. Strange things happen as a result.

I have seen posts from users that want to run Defraggler and other "defrag" programs at the same time or a mix of maintenance programs at the same time.

Is it possible ? Sometimes it is and with no "bad effects" sometimes. Any one that understands how complex such tasks are will never attempt such things. That is why the rule is no other programs running.

Best wishes,

:) davey

Thank you very much for your reply, I was not running Defraggler, I opened it and was watching the disk usage but it was not not running as in defragging or analyzing because I was getting curious after 2 hours of cleaning it had not stopped yet.

• Moderators

I don't really know why your Hard Drive numbers were fluctuating erratically, but I had a thought as to a possible cause.

I couldn't send a file that large to my Recycle Bin because it isn't configured to take a file that size. If I tried, it would be deleted after first giving me a warning.

The default setting for the Recycle Bin size I believe is 10% of each drive. Now you're problem occurred deleting a file from your 450gb Hard Drive using CCleaner via the Recycle Bin.

Is your Operating System on that 450gb drive, or is it on something more modest?

I ask because if your OS is on say an 80gb Hard Drive, from where CCleaner operates, there may have been some conflict with the file size, and the size of the Recycle Bin CCleaner was operating from.

CCleaner operates from the System Drive, and the Recycle Bin on that drive may have been the one CCleaner was trying to delete from, and it's possibly too small for the file.

Quite possibly I'm talking out of my backside here, and I hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain, but it just might account for the weird results you were getting.

I don't really know why your Hard Drive numbers were fluctuating erratically, but I had a thought as to a possible cause.

I couldn't send a file that large to my Recycle Bin because it isn't configured to take a file that size. If I tried, it would be deleted after first giving me a warning.

The default setting for the Recycle Bin size I believe is 10% of each drive. Now you're problem occurred deleting a file from your 450gb Hard Drive using CCleaner via the Recycle Bin.

Is your Operating System on that 450gb drive, or is it on something more modest?

I ask because if your OS is on say an 80gb Hard Drive, from where CCleaner operates, there may have been some conflict with the file size, and the size of the Recycle Bin CCleaner was operating from.

CCleaner operates from the System Drive, and the Recycle Bin on that drive may have been the one CCleaner was trying to delete from, and it's possibly too small for the file.

Quite possibly I'm talking out of my backside here, and I hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain, but it just might account for the weird results you were getting.

Yeah the OS is on the 450GB drive, I also did not mention that I have Vista Home premium and I dont know if that matters. I did not get any warning message about the file being to big for the recycle bin before I sent it there it just went there. Everything is good now though so no more problems.

• Moderators

That's good to hear.

One other thing, after reading your reply, (and I'm sure the guys on here with a technical background can be more informative), is the size of the drive you have your Operating System on.

I could be miles out with this, but I remember reading something a while back about problems with having your Operating System spread across too large a drive. Apparently, the file System can become inneficient.

Once again, just a thought, as I don't know what your setup is on that drive.

I have no idea if your OS being Vista would make any difference. Anyways, good to hear all's well, but it would be nice if we could pinpoint why it happened, and prevent it happening again.

That's good to hear.

One other thing, after reading your reply, (and I'm sure the guys on here with a technical background can be more informative), is the size of the drive you have your Operating System on.

I could be miles out with this, but I remember reading something a while back about problems with having your Operating System spread across too large a drive. Apparently, the file System can become inneficient.

Once again, just a thought, as I don't know what your setup is on that drive.

I have no idea if your OS being Vista would make any difference. Anyways, good to hear all's well, but it would be nice if we could pinpoint why it happened, and prevent it happening again.

Yeah that is the reason I posted this was so that it could maybe get figured out why it happened and not happen else, I guess I got lucky and had my HD space restored with no problems, I did that by just sending another video to the recycle bin and before cleaning it I checked Defraggler and all my HD space was back so I just restored the video file I sent to the bin and things are good.

Did you get a balloon notification telling you that the drive was low on disk space? In CC are you using one of the secure delete options or 'normal' delete method? Outside of Defraggler did you confirm the drive was full (Computer>Drive>Properties)?