CCleaner Is Not Securely Deleting Files

C-Guy

Hello,

I have had CCleaner set to securely delete files using the Gutnman method of 35 passes, which for the record is extremely slow, and after using Recuva to see if it was working properly found that all the files were easily recoverable, which was not was I was hoping to find. I run my computer in Administration mode and so this should not be happening. Could someone please let me know why this is happening? Thanks!

Hello,

I have had CCleaner set to securely delete files using the Gutnman method of 35 passes, which for the record is extremely slow, and after using Recuva to see if it was working properly found that all the files were easily recoverable, which was not was I was hoping to find. I run my computer in Administration mode and so this should not be happening. Could someone please let me know why this is happening? Thanks!

Hi C-Guy,

Welcome to the forums.

So you were concerned how slow Gutmann method really is. :( Don't be surprised since for 1 GB of overwriting just multiply that by 35 times and 1 GB will be 35 GB worth of overwriting plus the disk rotation time etc. and you can see it takes a lot of time. Too much time and wear and tear on your Hard Drive. :o

1 overwrite is sufficient for your personal security and privacy. Anything else is a waste.

You are new to CCleaner and Recuva. You will find that each does it's job very well.

CCleaner only overwrites(secure deletes) files that it deletes and no others.

Many things that users expect that CCleaner will overwrite or delete are not.

The reasons are that CCleaner has no access to the files or the files were actually deleted by some other method. CCleaner does not know where to find or look for any previously deleted files. This would make the "cleaning" process too slow for millions of users.

You will need to read and learn more about both products. The process of "secure deletion" or file "recovery" is much more complicated than most users would understand.

If you will be sure that no other programs like browsers or other "cleaners" do not delete the files, plus set-up CCleaner properly to delete those files and also not have any other programs running then CCleaner can do it's job. CCleaner does not "cover your tracks" in all ways because it was not designed to do that.

If any user expects more than that then they need other methods.

Criminals and spies know this already. :ph34r:

Regular PC users want privacy and security and that is what they get by using the features of both CCleaner and Recuva.

EDIT P.S. This does not preclude the fact there are always chances for "bugs" to exist and causing the apparent result. However I think with a little more understanding which is just barely covered here in my explanation that you will come to realize that CCleaner is "secure deleting" the files it has deleted in this instance. I think this is demonstrated by the amount of time that it took to complete the task.

This link will also help you in your "searches" of the forums.

Piriform's Advanced Search Engine

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ode=adv&f=0

Bookmark and save to Favorites. It will be very handy.

Fill in your search criteria in quotes like this "Secure delet" for example.

Down at the bottom right you will find Result Type Show results as topics or Show results as posts.

Click on Show results as posts (This is important). Now click on the "Perform the search".

Good luck,

:) davey

Can you please give some more detail in what you think should have been secure deleted but doesn't appear to be based on your running of Recuva?

Can you tell us your OS and ed. and version , Browsers and Security programs.