Corrupted Registry - Unable to open

peaybe

Yesterday when I started CCleaner, it said that a new version was available, I clicked to install it. After restart, it went through the 3 step check of the disk. It took some time after cmpleting the 3rd step. It returned a message like "registry file corrupted, failed to start' or words to that effect with display of some registers. I turned the computer off and tried a restart but after the Window splash, it goes to the blue screen with the same message, and stops. I have an HP Laptop Pavillion dv8000 with XP Pro, 1.5 Gig Ram and 120 Gig HD. Help!!

Welcome to Piriform peaybe.

Yesterday when I started CCleaner, it said that a new version was available, I clicked to install it. After restart, it went through the 3 step check of the disk. It took some time after cmpleting the 3rd step. It returned a message like "registry file corrupted, failed to start' or words to that effect with display of some registers. I turned the computer off and tried a restart but after the Window splash, it goes to the blue screen with the same message, and stops. I have an HP Laptop Pavillion dv8000 with XP Pro, 1.5 Gig Ram and 120 Gig HD. Help!!

Did you do a normal clean or did you click on Registry?

You need to startup in Safe Mode, hit the F8 key every second as the computer starts up and select Safe Mode from the menu. Once its started up do a Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore to a previous date before you installed CCleaner, and see if it starts up ok then. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Welcome to Piriform peaybe.

Did you do a normal clean or did you click on Registry?

You need to startup in Safe Mode, hit the F8 key every second as the computer starts up and select Safe Mode from the menu. Once its started up do a Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore to a previous date before you installed CCleaner, and see if it starts up ok then. ;)

Thanks Keith,

As a matter of fact it was neither of those, normal claean or registry. It was just the download of the newer version, and restart. If it did any of those processes as part of the upgrade, I dont know. After restart it went through the three step Chkdsk, and stopped after the three steps. Now when I try to reboot, it takes me straight to the reboot options screen, and no matter what I choose, safe mode or normal mode or safe mode with network or using the last good session, it takes me to the blue screen saying:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If it is the first time that you have seen this screen, restart the computer. Otherwise disable or uninstall any antivirus, disk defrag or backup utilities, etc....

Tech info: ***STOP: OX00000024 (OX00190203,OX8A41COCO,OXC0000102,OX00000000)

In past CCleaner sessions, it did backup the registry file, but I dont know what good it is if one cannot use them or get to the system restore. Since the laptop did not come with a CD for the OS but restore from the HD, I am afraid I will have to buy new OS and reformat and reinstall. If anybody has any suggestion other than that, I will appreciate it. Thanks.

Peaybe.