Display shuts off after Windows loads

xxxxsh4d0wxxxx

I just reformatted my computer and as soon as Windows loads, like after you put in your password and it goes to the desktop, the display will shut off.

The computer stays on, but the little green power light goes off with the display as well.

I thought it might be the power supply, but the computer stayed on the entire time during the format, and it has never happened before the format.

What could be the problem?

This doesn't happen in safe mode, only when I load windows normally.

Sounds like a video adapter device driver problem.

Did you have two monitors attached previously?

What video adapter is in the system?

When in Safe mode go to Device Manager and remove all video adapter definitions then reboot and Windows should re-install the video device driver.

Have a look at:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/displ...timonVista.mspx

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

Did you have two monitors attached previously? Nope, never.

What video adapter is in the system? Nvidia nForce something, but it's onboard.

When in Safe mode go to Device Manager and remove all video adapter definitions then reboot and Windows should re-install the video device driver. Alright, I'll try this.

What video adapter is in the system? Nvidia nForce something, but it's onboard.

Check the system BIOS as there may be a motherboard VGA video adapter and the Nvidia nForce adapter is an AGP video adapter and I believe that there can only be one active.

Please read:

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardwa.../video_card.asp

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

When in Safe mode go to Device Manager and remove all video adapter definitions then reboot and Windows should re-install the video device driver.

-------

This didn't work.

..But I should enable the VGA video adapter?

Yes.

Please read the Understanding Video and Graphics Adapters document I made mention to previously.

IE7Pro user

Take the monitor cable from the Nvidia port and put it on the motherboard VGA port and see if there is an error message or other indication there.

I think that the onboard VGA adapter may have to be disabled.

IE7Pro user