Issue with CCleaner 2.10.618 & Firefox 3

keane16

Hi,

Hope you can help.

Got my new laptop & installed all the windows updates for Vista & a few other apps. When i use FFox & try to access my Sky Broadband router, via its IP address, the password popup box appears for a few seconds then disappers. The tab says loading & a circular trail of dots appears in the top right corner. When i click on the page it just beeps. I have to click on the taskbar then back to FFox to make the popup box appear again. Then it just keeps doing the same thing. If i try to access a website that also has a password popup box it does the same thing.

This problem doesn't exist in IE, tho i don't want to use that.

After reinstalling from factory settings, installing each windows update one at a time, then installing my apps one at a time i've pinned it down to the following:

It's all fine until i run CCleaner. I don't know if it's with a general clean or with a registry clean. Once i've done these & go back into FFox, the problem is back. Funny thing is tho, my older laptop is fine.

Can anyone help at all? It is extremely frustrating.

Thanks

Hi,

Hope you can help.

Got my new laptop & installed all the windows updates for Vista & a few other apps. When i use FFox & try to access my Sky Broadband router, via its IP address, the password popup box appears for a few seconds then disappers. The tab says loading & a circular trail of dots appears in the top right corner. When i click on the page it just beeps. I have to click on the taskbar then back to FFox to make the popup box appear again. Then it just keeps doing the same thing. If i try to access a website that also has a password popup box it does the same thing.

This problem doesn't exist in IE, tho i don't want to use that.

After reinstalling from factory settings, installing each windows update one at a time, then installing my apps one at a time i've pinned it down to the following:

It's all fine until i run CCleaner. I don't know if it's with a general clean or with a registry clean. Once i've done these & go back into FFox, the problem is back. Funny thing is tho, my older laptop is fine.

Can anyone help at all? It is extremely frustrating.

Thanks

Hello keane16,

Welcome to the forums. :D

Thank you for you excellent report. Congrats on your simple methodical approach also.

Your efforts are a breath of fresh air compared to

"I GOT THIS PROBLEM. WHATCHA GONNA DO ABOUT IT ? ANY IDEAS ? TIA."

First skip the registry "clean" for awhile. Who needs it anyway ? Very few users at all.

This will help concentrate on the "general" cleaning options. More likely the problem is there or with Firefox.

I think you should do some checking in with the Firefox forum also.

These questions are also to stimulate your thought processes as well.

Does this router require certain information that is retrieved from your PC ?

Did you have some important data stored in a Temp file or folder that needed to be put into another folder before you ran CCleaner ?

Is the older laptop using Vista also and the same version of Firefox ?

Is the older laptop using all the same settings ?

Are the same applications appearing on the Applications tab as before ?

Are you using the winapp2.ini file ?

What "permissions" are required to log-in for Firefox ? Are these different in Vista versus the prior method ?

In the following just say "See above" for anything already provided.

The following info will help others to come up with a solution.

These answers help to evaluate the problem. Provide as much information and detail as you can.

Just fill in the answers next to or below the questions?

Did you reboot after installing CCleaner before trying to run it?

Did you do any Registry issues fixing?

Do you continue to scan for issues until no more are found?

Did you do any software or hardware changes installs or uninstalls?

Are you running with Administrator privileges.

CCleaner version ? What Language did you request at install,if any?

OS,edition ,32bit or 64bit and version ?

Browsers and ver.?

Security software and ver?

Other data you think might be relevant?

What did you do and then what happened?

Provide a list of your CCleaner.ini file.( Tick option for Save settings to INI file at Options > Advanced then close CCleaner.This file will be created in C:\Program Files\CCleaner folder.)

Are you using a winapp2.ini file?

Answer "Yes" if you do and please explain its contents or provide a brief listing.Otherwise answer "No".

Best wishes,

:) davey

The CCleaner Guide is your first source of information.

http://www.ccleanerbeginnersguide.com/ CCleaner Beginner's Guide.com

Bookmark & save to Favorites

Thanks for taking your time to make a great report.:)

This is an interactive process. I believe you know the answer but just don't know it, yet. :P

I don't know it either, yet.

Edited by davey

Thanks for the welcome Davey. I always try & solve problems before i post snywhere, but this has me totally stumped.

This is so frustrating. Before i go about answering all the questions i posed i thought i'd better post what i did next:

I went back to a previous restore point, before i installed CCleaner. Went into FFox 3 & all was well. I then loggen into Facebook to add some photos & noticed i needed the Java plug-in installed, as i hadn't installed Java. So i installed the latest Java, including the plugin. I then tried accessing the router & back to he same problem. So it seems it maybe a problem with Java then??? I'm baffled. I haven't even tried re-installing CCleaner.

I use Vista Premium 32bit - totally updated.

I'm not sure what to do regarding Java. I suppose i could live with using IE to access my router, as i only check it now & then for speeds etc, but i hate being beat!!

Cheers mate.

Thanks for the welcome Davey. I always try & solve problems before i post snywhere, but this has me totally stumped.

This is so frustrating. Before i go about answering all the questions i posed i thought i'd better post what i did next:

I went back to a previous restore point, before i installed CCleaner. Went into FFox 3 & all was well. I then loggen into Facebook to add some photos & noticed i needed the Java plug-in installed, as i hadn't installed Java. So i installed the latest Java, including the plugin. I then tried accessing the router & back to he same problem. So it seems it maybe a problem with Java then??? I'm baffled. I haven't even tried re-installing CCleaner.

I use Vista Premium 32bit - totally updated.

I'm not sure what to do regarding Java. I suppose i could live with using IE to access my router, as i only check it now & then for speeds etc, but i hate being beat!!

Cheers mate.

You ain't beat !!! You are just a little tired like me. It always pays off to have a sounding board, get a little rest and let all those little gray cells re-energize even though they never rest completely.

The answer is there but we haven't found it, yet.

Some strange things been going on recently. Thought you might peruse this link before you get back at it.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=111811

Your answers to those questions can be the key to finding the answer we haven't found yet.

See you later,

:) davey

P.S. What about Adobe Flash Player ? My little gray cells won't quit sometimes. :P

My external hard drive has an appointment with Windows Disk Defragmenter program.

Edited by davey

Hey all,

Thanks for all the advice & tips. I had a play around this morning before i came back on here, so haven't answered the questions above yet, but i will.

Well this morning i went back to a restore point again, installed the Java again & all was fine....strange. Installed CCleaner & cleaned the history......back to the problem again. I tried this all again this time cleaning the registry........same problem again.

Next i restored again, installed Java......fine. Then re-installed Winrar first this time over my older version which won't work properly, tried my router access & back to the problem!!!! So it's not Java, maybe not just CCleaner, now it's Winrar! It gets more frustrating the more i try things.

Now i've come across an IE add-on for firefox. I installed this & i can access my router using the IE add-on........simple. Maybe i should cut my losses & just use this, or maybe i'm hiding an underlying problem??? This way seems ok i suppose & this way i can use my CCleaner & keep my registry clean from issues, as there quite a few. Strange for a new system i thought?

At least my Window Washer doesn't affect this!

I need a drink...haha!