Strange Avira behavior!

slowday444

So I decided to give Avira a look. There was a giant thread about it on Wilders>Other Anti>Virus forum. One of the few cons was the nag you get when it updates. There was a link on how to disable it in XP and earlier but nothing about Vista. As it turned out it was really easy, except now I don't understand how I was able to access the folder and file and make the change. I'm going to paste my thread and if you have any input or theories fire away!

"Disabling the nag is really simple in Vista. Computer>C>Program Files>Avira (Folder)>avnotify.exe>Traverse Folder>Deny for all users listed. Make sure you have administration rights. Safe mode is not necessary!

I edit! So I did an update before a boot and indeed there wasn't a nag. I then rebooted to make sure the change stayed by looking at the file. I now cannot open avnotify.exe. I even setup an Administrator account, which appeared to be almost like safe mode, to no avail. I didn't actually try safe mode. The fix worked though because there is still no nag. But I have two questions. Number one, how did I ever open that file originally? Remember, I was not in safe mode. Number two, can I not access now because of the "Deny" setting? If I really wanted the nag back (for what?) I'd try safe mode or just uninstall/reinstall Avira. Opinions appreciated!"