Quickie cleanie

joonasK

Hey

Suggestion follows.

Why not make a complete clean button, which will run the file cleaner and the registry cleaner.

Also, in the registry cleaner, make it so that after it has made a single run, and cleaned, it would make another run, and clean, and so on until zero errors are found. This is because after one set is cleaned, errors appear because some items are missing (that were just cleaned). Usually I need to do three or four runs and cleans to make it have zero errors.

Quickie cleanie. :)

CCleaner.exe /quickie

Quickie with no error messages or confirmations.

I use CCleaner at work in multiple computers and it's been dream. However it won't using /AUTO clean the registry and I have to do that manually every now and then.

Hi

An auto run off the registry cleaner would complete the hat-trick of switching off System Restore and downloading free-ware of uncertain origin. Very good for an exciting life !!!

Whenever I run CCleaner, it always finds redundant files to remove. It almost never finds any registry issues. When it does find registry issues then after fixing I run again just incase, and it is very rare to get any extra issues. I have never needed to run it 3 or 4 times - perhaps I do not ride my computer as hard as some people !!!

Real Life example of disaster :-

CCleaner purged all junk files and registry issues - as seen from my user profile.

I logged out and my daughter logged in, and as seen from her user profile CCleaner found more junk and registry issues.

I set up her profile to be much less aggressive than my profile in removal of junk files.

Although I had told her never to clean the registry, I was prepared to do so for her because it is an old computer that has had 4 years to accumulate some issues. Also as a matter of interest I wondered what CCleaner could see from her profile.

I WAS HORRIFIED. There were VERY MANY "Missing shared DLLs" and sundry other registry errors, which were typically due to being un-installed, with a remedy of removing the registry entries. Fortunately I recognised the file path that was missing - it was an application that I had used and was still there the last time I looked.

Had I removed the registry errors I guess I would have broken the application due to TWO ERRORS :-

The second error is that CCleaner did not recognise that the registry entries designated a file path in my user profile that was invisible from her user profile.

THE PRIMARY ERROR was that when I first started using Windows XP I was given a teach yourself "Step by Step Windows XP" book published by Microsoft Press, and this included a CD that was to be installed.

Those Microsoft imbeciles stupidly arranged that it would be installed in my private user profile, inaccessible to other users,

or perhaps they were not stupid - just immorally greedy and insisting that if multiple users want to learn then each user has to buy their own copy - acorns don't fall far from the tree !!!

n.b. After seeing this potential disaster, I unchecked absolutely every box under Registry Integrity, just in-case my daughter ever made a mistake and clicked the wrong button.

I often clean the registry, but I ALWAYS inspect and evaluate what is about to be done. Invariable my experience has been that it refers to something I remember un-installing in the last few days - but if this does not apply I back-off and Google and reconsider before I cleanse.

Regards

Alan